Posted 7 December 2023

Mobile Phone Network Coverage

I'm currently with Tesco on the O2 network and looking at a new phone deal. O2 aren't the most competitive for what I'm interested in. Does anyone know please what the most accurate site for showing coverage is please. My neighbours confirm that Vodafone is not great - the Ofcom map suggests voice coverage but not data is available as a control check
Any advice appreciated
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    All the coverage maps are based on guesswork.

If you’re in or near the larger towns and cities then RootMetrics have maps done independent extensive testing which may help out.

Otherwise speak to friends, family, neighbours for recommendations or get SIM cards for the other 3 networks and try it out for yourself.

EE Was the UK’s best network for the last decade now so are often a good shout but not everywhere. There’s always going to be places where they aren’t perfect. Just beware when I say EE I mean EE and not necessarily those who piggyback on their network. Some of the cheaper brands give a cut-back version of their signal which will impact coverage especially in more rural area.
    If your neighbour says Vodafone is no good, then that leaves EE and Three to try out. Get a free PAYG SIM from them and test the signal. You could also get a free Vodafone SIM to test the signal as well.
    This is the only way. Get a Pay as you go sim and try them yourself
    Get a max 1 month plan with any network.

To try EE you can go on 1p mobile, plus a few others

To try Three you can use SMARTY or iD Mobile

If you want to try Vodafone yourself, you could try Lebara.

All those networks offer lots of 1 month plans, so if the service is bad you can just leave no hassle. Don't sign any contract until you know it works (and ideally just use SIM only forever, it's often cheaper, and if your usage changes you aren't stuck)
    You could get free SIM to see the signal, but sometime it is slow even it show full bar.

I would recommend you PAC to Smarty SIM to try out three network.
    It is because idmobile or three usually with cheaper phone deal.

Then the last one would be with EE network. 1pmobile MVNO EE.
    But EE themselves tends to be expensive.
's avatar