Posted 21 April 2024

Netflix Does Not Work on Certain Hardware.

If you have the basic Netflix with ads subscription you may find that you will be unable to stream content. An onsreen message will appear saying that 'This device no longer supports your current plan'. This occurs because the Netflix app cannot be updated on certain smart tvs, set top boxes, firesticks etc to carry the ads with the content. This usually occurs with older models. My firestick is first generation and despite fully updating the firmware it now will not play Netflix.
Humax/Youview boxes do not support the new steaming with ads content on Netflix at all and state this on their website.
So, other than waiting for updates that do not look likely to happen the solutions are the following:
1. Cancel Netflix (with extreme prejudice LoL)
2. Spend more money on an ad free plan.
3. Buy a new smart tv
4. Buy new streaming means such as roku/firestick for your smart tv
Just a heads up...
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Roku sticks tend to go real cheap and will give you netflix
    Sounds like you could be doing with an upgraded fire stick anyway. Must be painfully slow using a first gen
    Author
    When you are playing your media, the speed is not an issue but it is slow for sure.
    during amazon sales the HD firesticks are usually about £20 and 4k about £35. no need to get a new tv. sell the old firestick or keep as a spare. even if you don't have a 4k tv, the 4k firesticks are faster so i'd suggest getting that

or if you lived in turkey or went on holiday there the non ad version might be cheaper
    This isn't anything new though, 50p to a pound buys you a physical disk from the likes of CEX, I rip them to my Plex server (to remove the FBI piracy warning lol!) I can't do adverts and wouldn't go back to streaming now.
    I always found it silly that they added piracy warnings to physical media that has been already been purchased. I mean.. the person who bought it probably isn't going to be the same one in possession of a pirated copy!
    52616619-DKz3A.jpg
's avatar