Posted 1 April 2024

Nintendo Switch - where to start?

Hi all, I’ve been doing some reading around but just wanted a little advice before taking the plunge…

Debating whether to buy a Nintendo Switch - is it worth upgrading from a Wii U or would I be better off just buying some different games for that instead? Not so fussed about the portability factor

What games are good to get for 11 and 9yo girls (why are they so many different Mario games? 😫) even better if there’s ones we can play four player once we get more controllers!

Can you play 2/3 players on the actual Switch screen?

How is online gaming? Can random people message you?

Thanks in advance, would hugely appreciate any help x
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Hi. If you're not so fussed about the portability factor, then maybe it would be best if you bought new game(s) for Wii U ?

When it comes to Mario games -
    there are 2D (side-scrolling) games. These are always called "Super Mario Bros.". You can play 4 player

Then there are 3D (can move in all dimensions) Mario games. Wii U has Super Mario 3D World. You can also play this 4 player

Mario Party is filled with great fun mini-games

Mario Kart is the kart racing game. It is great fun

Then there are various Mario sports games such as Tennis, Golf, Soccer (football), which will all have multiplayer.

I believe there is a Toad Treasure Tracker game on Wii U which is a fun game, a Yoshi's Wooly World (side-scrolling) game, and Donkey Kong Country Returns (side-scrolling) game.

Your best bet is to have a look online maybe YouTube to see what you think of the various games. Bear in mind the Wii U online servers will be turned off on the 8th April - so no more online multiplayer gaming will be possible after that.

For the Switch - I've tried 2 player on the Switch screen, but if it's a split screen multiplayer game you obviously only get half the screen each, I'm not sure how practical it would be split 4 ways But you can of course play it docked to TV.

Online - Random people cannot message you at all. There is no messaging functionality on Switch. Certain online games may have that functionality, but I don't know of any.

Switch has its own online service called Nintendo Switch Online (NSO) - which is a paid service (Nintendo's first paid online service). You need it to be able to play paid games online (free games are free to play online eg: Fortnite / Rocket League / Fall Guys). NSO is per user account (it does not cover everyone who uses the console). You can get a free 7 day trial. You can then pay for 1 month, 3 months, or 1 year. If you want it for more than a single user account there is a Family Membership (up to 8 accounts) available, which works out better than paying for 2 individual memberships.

NSO also gives access to a selection of legacy games from past consoles. (edited)
    Author
    Thank you so much!

You have given me loads of useful information to move onwards with. I was intending to get them online so the fact that Wii U playability is being switched off means I may just try and sell the Wii U and put the money towards a Switch!
    Just be aware that the Switch is pretty long in the tooth now and a new one will be releasing next year. It does mean that it has a decent library though.
    If you can I would stay with the Wii U for another year and then spend your cash on the Switch 2 (as pannan said the Switch is over 7 years old).

As your girls are not asking for anything you need a Switch for (e.g. new Mario games / Fortnite / Rocket League / etc) then I'd stay with the Wii U for as long as possible, maybe grab extra controllers and some of the 4 player games jco83 suggested.
's avatar