Posted 12 hours ago

Pixel 7 / 7A good or bad?

I've been looking for a new phone and there have been some good deals for the pixel 7 and 7A.

I've had a pixel 4a 5G in the past and had no issues with that.

I borrowed a pixel 6 last year while my phone was in for repair and it was riddled with bugs with the fingerprint sensor, battery life and general software issues.

Looking online and on YouTube for pixel 7 or 7a long term reviews and it's quite polarising, it's either the best phone ever or the worst phone ever.

It does put me off, especially as the tensor is based heavily of exynos and their less than stellar modem performance. But frequent updates and the camera is enticing.

So, what is the general consensus, good or bad?

Thanks!
Community Updates
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Got my 7 last Feb and was quite disappointed at first... fingerprint sensor was awful, battery drained quick so had to have the screen pretty dim etc, however, have seen much improvement over the last few months since the release of Android 14. Battery way better and rarely any issues with fingerprint now

I say good (edited)
    When the 7/7 Pro came out bought both of them and both performed good for me and never had any issues with the fingerprint scanner or the batteries on both. Got rid of the 7 and kept the 7 Pro as it had the best features of the two and size wise wasnt that big a difference. With each OS updated the phone has gotten better in terms of bugs and performance.

Gave the 7 Pro to the missus and then got the 8 Pro and for my use its more than enough. Monday to Friday I am on the phone from 8am to 4pm talking to my work colleagues whilst working using a bluetooth headset, along with WhatsApp messaging and I end up with around 20% battery left before bedtime. I was getting the same battery performance when I was using the 7 Pro in the same way day to day.

I just love the vanilla Android OS experience. Used to use Samsung Galaxy's up until I went the Pixel route starting from the Pixel 4, then onto the 5, 6, 7 and now onto the 8. Started to hate Samsungs implementation of both their own apps along with the same apps you get with Google OS.
    I'm mostly on board with the 7 so far. Upgraded from my aged Huawei P30 sort-of under protest as it was becoming too old to support some of the apps I needed.

Initially went for OnePlus 10Pro which had an enormous battery yet struggled to last a day initially, and seemed quite laggy, camera unimpressive.

Changed it for the Pixel 7 and for me it is better than the OnePlus in almost every area which surprised me given I think on paper the OnePlus beats it, but that was not my experience.

I try can generally get a day or more from the battery and I try to keep it in the 20-80% range; I can just about manage 2 days when needed if charged to 100% and being careful.

I have had a few issues with the fingerprint reader but it's not terrible. I do have a screen protector on and I haven't enabled the extra sensitivity thing for it yet though as it hasn't annoyed me enough to do so yet.

I have been quite impressed with the camera generally.
    Pixel 7 / 7A = VERY BAD

Google's devices are engaged in mass industrial scale data harvesting.

Buy at your peril.
    Name a phone that's not...
    Why not get S23 then? It has SD processor.
    Author
    I would, but I have a budget of £500
    Pixels have a lot going for them but I got put off by a few things. Issues with 4G Calling and WiFi Calling on a whole bunch of networks (worldwide, but also in the UK), effectively limiting network choice.

Missing some quality of life tweaks other manufacturers like Samsung have to add themselves.
's avatar