Posted 19 November 2023

running a dual sim phone

i fancy a new phone but still have 12m of my sim only deal to run and ultimately i want to keep this number.
If i bought a pixel 8 pro off id mobile it works out quite cheap and better than shelling out in one go but my current sim would then be an esim, is it straight forward enough to make the esim default so things like whatsapp run using the esim number?
i'm thinking in settings id just set that as default and then install whatsapp and itll use the default number etc?
ive never ran dual sims and im not that fussed about id mobile but at least that would work abroad so itll come in handy on our hols
is it really simple enough to get everything setup?
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    For Whatsapp you just enter the phone number of the sim you want to use when setting up the app, some phones allow dual apps, with these you can run a second instance of Whatsapp with the other Sim card/number

For Data you choose which sim you want to use by default, for sms and calls either choose which you want to use by default or you can set as ask every time. data/calls/sms defaults can easily be changed on the fly straight from notification pulldown.
    You can also choose the default sim card to be used for outgoing calls to each contact in the phone app as well.

51497251-1I1nf.jpg (edited)
    It's very simple. You can install an esim/physical sim and choose what services run off which sim. Have fun. Love my p8 pro. Get a good case tho.
    As above answers,when you add an esim you get the option to use it or not, in effect turn it on or off (you can add more than one esim) so yes that would work fine, I'd imagine in your situation you'd set the esim as default for making calls/send SMS although you can set it to ask every time. (edited)
    Author
    thanks for the reply s folks, yes the esim would be my main sim of choice unless on holiday (i need EE for my location)
    another q though, if i set the esim to default and somebody rings the number ill get with id, do they work in tandem, ie itll ring or can you only use 1 working sim at a time?
    You only set defaults for outgoing calls\texts. Both Sims are active all the time for calls and texts incoming.

I've been using dual Sims in phones for approaching 10 years as I could never be bothered to carry around personal and work phones.
    Destroys battery life
    Author
    its actually not too bad, im not a heavy user by any means but i could easily get 2 full days out of it without charging, it is however very odd having 2 signals and choosing which sim does what etc
's avatar