Posted 13 December 2023

Sky Fibre/WiFi

Hi, I have Sky for internet and via ethernet I get 150mb. WiFi however is awful and I only get about 40mb.

Does anyone use a different device to broadcast the WiFi with the sky router? I've looked on the sky forums but it's a minefield!

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    There's a lot of variables here. It's dependent on:
    - The age of your device you are testing with (and it's Wi-Fi version)
    - Distance to your Sky router
    - If there is solid walls between your router and where you are testing
    - If there is other devices that can interfere with the Wi-Fi signal - like cordless phones etc.

If you are testing with something relatively modern (say <5 years old) and it is that slow in front of the router, there could be some settings that Sky can help you adjust. They can also offer Wi-Fi extenders which may help - but if you work through their support they can guide on the most appropriate resolution.
    I have used my own router for a number of years with many different isp. Some are easier than others but I have sky fibre at the moment and it is just a case of popping the ethernet cable from the fibre modem into your WAN port on your own router and configuring it correctly.
    Author
    What router are you using and is there a guide on how to do it please?
    Can you get youfibre in your area ?
    Does anyone use a different device to broadcast the WiFi with the sky router?

No experience of "with the sky router",
    but "instead of the sky router" = yes.

Configured a Draytek modem/router for relative to replace their Sky-supplied ER115 modem/router that wasn't quite performing in remote part of home, where the only critical requirement for ER115 m/r replacement was that it supported "Option 61".
    But not sure a 150Mbps service uses the ER115.

Relative specifically wanted only one device as direct replacement,
    and absolutely did not want multi-devices dotted around home clogging mains sockets with potential trip / chewing hazards (pets!) and permanently (marginally) adding to elect bill - buy hey, your average Joe will be shouting:
    must go MESH
    must go MESH
    must go MESH.
's avatar