Posted 12 December 2023

Some 5g router questions

I've recently moved into an HMO with really bad WiFi so was thinking to pick up a 5g router as the signal is pretty decent. Few things I wanted to clarify if anybody has further details:

• latency - how does it stack up? I play games online a fair amount and so is it at least comparable to static internet?
  • capping - are there any networks which are particularly good or bad when it comes to capping or throttling? Any which I should avoid?
  • overall speed - same again, in terms of the 5g tech, who has the best and worst for bandwidth?
  • should I just use my phone? Is the networking tech in a relatively low end 5g router really that much better or should I just shove a data SIM in my old phone and hotspot?

Thanks!
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Perhaps everyone in the house could chip in for a better router and a mesh system.
    Or you could run a wire from the router to your room and hardwire your connection to solve the speed issue, or buy a bit more kit and run WiFi in your room (edited)
    Author
    The signal itself is fine - there's a few WiFi extenders dotted around but I know from extensive experience in another house that these open a whole new can of worms when there's problems. The issue is that it's 39Mb bandwidth in a house with 8 people plus guests. It's passable for working as my job is mostly pinging emails but trying to get even a 720p YouTube stream some evenings has not been possible.
    Latency usually greater than wired, although some areas may not have significant impact at certain times; equally: some areas may be terrible at certain times. Generally more volatile than wired.

o2 & EE have unlimited typically limited to around 600GB / m and no more than 12 devices simultaneously connected.
    Voda & 3 have truly unlimited options; generally also via their MVNOs.

Probably too many variables to make definitive speed statement. Speed will be location dependent; vary at different times of day; and does it really matter if you obtain a more than adequate persistently-quicker-than-you-need speed?

For one or two devices it's unlikely you'd see a benefit of £100+ 5G router compared to 5G handset hotspot unless you need true routing / network management options.
    Some handsets can be fussy passing full on-handset speed to hotspot.

Cheapest non-promo truly unlim 5G data via 3 at circa equiv £6.33/m over 24m term including contractual price rises that are modest and not linked to unmodest CPI.
    Where are you getting £6.33 a month from ?

To test latency etc, use a phone with your chosen network in hotspot mode - it'll be similar to a router, maybe you could just live with that ?
    What is the speed of the internet at the HMO?
    If it is decent speed, could you ask the landlord for permission to install Powerline or Mesh?

If you have an old phone lying around. Grab an used router which can support usb tethering (edited)
    Author
    Unfortunately it is the bandwidth which is the issue at only 39Mbps split between 8 occupants.

USB tethering a router is a great idea and something I didn't know was possible. Thanks!
's avatar