Hi can anyone recommend one please
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    get a frost free freezer
    Hairdryer
    People use steamers to defrost a freezer???

Just switch the freezer off first thing in the morning put a bowl of hot water in the bottom, empty bowl and refill with hot water when it cools down. Better still, wait until the summer and do it on a warm day when normal air temperature will do the job for you.
    If you are tempted to use a hot air gun, then be careful to make sure it is on the lowest setting.
    Melting the ice is good. The plastic is not so good.

Any steamer would do the job. You could power off the freezer and put a bowl of boiled water on a shelf, with towels on the lowest shelf, and close the door, replacing both water and towel on a frequent basis (edited)
    I do my freezers that aren't frost free about every year... I whittle the contents down gradually over a month or so beforehand, so there's less stuff to have to move to the other freezers. Then once it's empty I either:-
    Summer :- Leave it on bricks at a slanted angle, outside under a tarp (in case of rain) to defrost... last time I did this it was completely empty and frost free within a couple of hours.
    Other :- If time is short, or it's not summer, then use a few bowls of hot water to melt the ice buildup, I still raise it off the floor though, and but the largest containers or buckets that I have under it.

When possible I try to use the summer way, as it takes about the same amount of time, but without me having to keep putting hot water, and mopping up the water that spills.
    I use an old desk fan, sat on a table pulled up as close as possible to the door and tilted to blow into the top shelf section of the freezer. Its not one of those weedy things you get in argos, it's got a 90 watt motor and blows like stink. (edited)
    I use an old desk fan...tilted to blow into the top shelf section of the freezer...Its not one of those weedy things you get in argos, it's got a 90 watt motor and blows like stink.

No wonder you're
    I just used a garden type spray filled with cold water , it worked a treat.
    I use the hairdryer
    Blowtorch.

Because time and tide wait for no man.
    I use a steam mop
    Love the variety of approaches. I have an old stand up large freezer (about 14 years old now) and every year I empty the contents - carry it outside and chuck buckets and buckets of hot water into it (cleans it well doing this) dry it down and return it. Switch it on and put the stuff back in 10-15 mins later. Process takes less than an hour all round. Remember lots of people advising against this process - but it's worked well for me - done it for a few of them now - not broke one yet
    Bowl of hot water.
    I use a wallpaper stripper with just the pipe (minus the steam plate attachment)
    I use old towels at the bottom and fill a washing up bowl of boiling water and put at the bottom of the freezer and close the door. Keep checking and repeating every ten mins.
    It doesn’t take long to defrost and then clean
    Tan a bottle of hot sauce and blow
's avatar