Posted 17 July 2023

Tesco physical gift card for petrol

I bought a physical tesco gift card today at the tesco grocery store. I can of course use it in store in future but wondered if I can use it at Tesco petrol station for fuel? Some articles states no, while others are quiet on the subject.

Anyone know for sure having used it in their petrol station and it got accepted or refused? It is not a big issue if I can only use it in the grocery store but would be nice if I could also use it to buy fuel from their petrol stations.
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If purchased from Tesco, then yes. If purchased from a third party gift card provider then no.
    Yes you can use it for petrol. Though the Business Tesco cards cannot and you get staff saying it's not possible getting confused due to this.
    Not sure about Tescos but I used to get Morrisons discount cards via work and they forbid using the card for petrol but I’d always offer it and in the main it would always be accepted.
    No, you cant. Stopped accepting gift cards at the petrol stations a few years back. I use to buy them from my work scheme at a 4% discount and then fill-up. But they stopped accepting it.
    What do the terms and conditions say on the card?
    Can you use a 3rd party gift card (i.e. Tesco) to go in store and buy a "Tesco Gift Card" - and then use that in petrol station?
's avatar