Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 2 days ago

Using Netflix abroad

Hi, going on abroad on holiday soon and downloading content to watch from Netflix on my iPad. Previously I was only able to watch it on the plane there, once I connected to Wi-Fi on holiday the downloads wouldn’t work. I do need my Wi-Fi on my iPad for other things, is there anyway round this? Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Maybe a VPN?
    Why don't you just toggle the WiFi off whilst your watching something.
    Author
    Yes I do Toggle it off but when I put it back on to do something else that’s when the Netflix downloads disappear
    can't you just stream the videos once there, or are you trying to watch downloaded content that's not available in the region you are in, thus when connected to wifi it knows you aren't in the region where the content is available, thus why it won't play, and therefore turning off wifi or using vpn before loading the app. is it a country where netflix is available?
    Author
    Netflix is available there, not sure whether some of the content isn’t available as I have downloaded it in the UK. I don’t know anything about VPNs or how I should use one
    Netflix works in other regions as we know but it knows where you downloaded from and the license can be different so you can only watch with WiFi connect what the is for that region, you can download in that region but not watch when you get home. 

As others said the VPN route is the way to go but if you are away it’s not something you want to be buying unless you have secure WiFi and for travelling it is best to have one. There are free ones but they probably won’t let you stream. 
    You might not need to stream - If you download all the content you need before going abroad, and then when you connect to the destination wifi - also connect via a VPN to the UK, then the Netflix app should think you are back in the UK and allow you to view your previously-downloaded content
's avatar