Posted 13 June 2023

Wifi disc for BT Smart Hub 2 router

Hi there, wondered if someone could give me some advice, I'd like to extend the wifi range on my BT SH2 router, but don't want to pay the £10 per month, or £240 over 2 years cost of getting BT complete wifi which gives you the discs.

I see some sellers on ebay have discs for sale, if I don't have complete wifi as part of my package, would they still work - ie connect to the smart hub and extend the range?

If this is no option, anyone have an alternative that would extend the range of the wifi network? Maybe a powerline adapter with wifi connected via ethernet to the smart hub at the other end?

My preference would be one of the complete wifi discs, but only if they work without any additional cost.

Thanks in advance, Paul
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I have a Smart Hub 2 and had various problem areas in the house & garden.

Bought one of the black discs off eBay, downloaded the app to help install / position and the improvement is great.

Garden gone from 0.5mb to 45mb and a couple of the bedrooms from 12mb to 70mb.
    Author
    That's great, just what I was after... and that's without changing your contract to include complete wifi? This would seem to suggest that the discs are not subscription dependent - only the supply of them if you don't get from ebay.
    If you can connect a wire to the main hub, what you want is an Access Point. I recommend the TP link omada series.