Posted 22 hours ago

Wired video doorbell with existing transformer

Hello,

I've purchased a Reolink doorbell and I'm trying to figure out if I can power it with my existing doorbells connection. Please see pic from the transformer. One cable currently goes to the doorbell outside, and the other to a chime:

4309539_1.jpg
According to reolink: "Reolink Video Doorbell works with a power supply of 24V DC or 12-24V AC, 50/60 Hz. And it is compatible with most power systems of mechanical doorbells (16V AC, 50/60 Hz, 30 VA)."

Any input woukd be much appreciated!

Thanks

Incase it's difficult to see the picture it says:

Friedland 752. Bell and chime isolating transformer

Primary: 220-240v 50hz
Secondary: 3-5-8v 1.0 A

Link to: Reolink install instructions, mentioned adding a jumper cable to the existing chime to get the required power
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Unlikely as the Friedland 752 has insufficient voltage.
    Author
    I've read people saying this model translated to 13v when tested, but I don't have a multimeter.

Wondering if it's worth trying, or more importantly if its safe to try
    Is it the PoE (Power over Ethernet) model? If so why not just power it from a PoE switch?
    I have Reolink and our old doorbell used this transformer.
    52362528_1.jpg
    I read so many articles about wifi drop outs etc I went with this 24V transformer
    YAYZA! LED Driver 24V 30W, 240V to 24V Transformer, IP44 1.25A Low Voltage Power Supply amzn.eu/d/ahGJWlm
    52362528_1.jpg
    I couldn't use my old door bell case as everything was moulded to the case so I did a quick search and found this for £7.99 toolstation.com/mains-battery-doorbell/p54078 which was the exact same dimensions as our old doorbell chime box situated in the hallway.

Toolstation were amazing. When I collected it I asked if the inside of the doorbell could be removed and he opened it for me and had a look. He proceeded to gut the insides on the counter! and we both agreed it was perfect for the job!

I only had to make a small hole in the top for the existing screws to be used so it meant I didn't need to drill any new holes in the wall.

Transformer provides 24V to Reolink doorbell and I had no issues with it not even a delay when I press the doorbell, although I am using 5Ghz WiFi network.

52362528_1.jpg
    et voila it takes up the same space as our old doorbell in hallway which meant no paint touchup required! oh and as a bonus has a nicer looking white cover to it! (edited)
's avatar