Posted 3 November 2021

Amazon Firestick 4K Max Vs Chromecast with Google TV.

Hi! I've had Firesticks for a few years now. I've currently got a Firestick 4K that I got a couple of years ago. I'm thinking of getting the new Firestick 4K Max. How does it compare to those Chromecast with Google TV though please? I've never had one of them. I'm curious and open to change but I don't know much about the Chromecast with Google TV.

Are the Chromecast with Google TV better than the Firestick Max please?

Also can apps be sideloaded onto the Chromecast with Google TV please?

What can one do that the other can't do please?

I thank you in advance for any advice.
Community Updates
New Comment

21 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    from what ive read this is not really an point slightly faster and faster wifi only because of wifi 6 what is not really out on standard broadband routers stick with you 4k (edited)
    I prefer the UI for the CCwGTV, ditched my Firestick for it instantly.

As for functionality wise, they're both the same and for me, both do what I need which is watching Plex and IPTV.
    Loubou03/11/2021 16:59

Thank you. That's good to know. I bought the Fire Cube today instead. I'll …Thank you. That's good to know. I bought the Fire Cube today instead. I'll see how it goes. When I get bored of it, I might look into a Chromecast with Google TV. Or I might get one for my bedroom if I can get one cheap. Then I can have the best of both worlds. What it is about the UI that you prefer though please? Is it easier to navigate? Can you still sideload apps onto it like the Firestick?

For me the UI is just a lot more fluid but I came from a Gen 2 or 3 Firestick, so the UI would slow down a lot. I’m sure it’s probably just as good on the 4K Firestick though.

Yes, side-loading is as easy as it is on the Firestick. Just grab the Downloader App from the store and away you go.
    I could not get on with firesticks or Roku, I have a Chromecast and Google TV with Chromecast. Works very well for everything I need, tap a button on phone and it shows on your TV, no installing apps (well the TV you can but I don't)
    Loubou03/11/2021 21:10

Thank you. Does this mean your phone has to remain on the same page …Thank you. Does this mean your phone has to remain on the same page whilst it is showing on your TV? So you can't browse in your phone whilst it is casting? I've never done that so I don't know how it works.

No.

You can cast to the CCwGTV but it's not needed. It has its own standalone UI.

If you do choose to cast to it anyway, you can continue to use your phone as normal.
    Author
    McShane03/11/2021 21:18

No.You can cast to the CCwGTV but it's not needed. It has its own standalon …No.You can cast to the CCwGTV but it's not needed. It has its own standalone UI.If you do choose to cast to it anyway, you can continue to use your phone as normal.

Thank you. That's fab!
    I can cast things like netflix and then use my phone as usual, from what I believe once casting has started the Chromecast does the rest and you can use your phone to do what you need. Not everything is castable but certainly all the apps I wish to use
    Author
    ch7leach03/11/2021 21:26

I can cast things like netflix and then use my phone as usual, from what I …I can cast things like netflix and then use my phone as usual, from what I believe once casting has started the Chromecast does the rest and you can use your phone to do what you need. Not everything is castable but certainly all the apps I wish to use

Thank you. That's great.
    I always think I know stuff but isn't a wired version of a streamer (ie a Nvida Shield apart from cost) always better/quicker/harder/faster....Sorry but I think that was a Bionic Man analogy, a better way to go if you can ?
    Loubou03/11/2021 22:09

I got the Fire Cube TV today for £59. I'm still interested in the …I got the Fire Cube TV today for £59. I'm still interested in the Chromecast for my bedroom though. I think the Nvida Shields are meant to be great but I've never looked into them. I've just seen folk on here talk about them. I've seen most say that they are the best. I think they are meant to cost a bit though. That's not what I'm looking for.

I've got a Shield, Firestick 4k, SkyHD+ and trying to work out what to plug in to the last port on my main TV but just got a normal Firestick and a Chromecast on the Bedroom one.
    One's going to be relagated during BF deals.....I think the Cube might dip a bit more then too (edited)
    Chromecast TV for you then, as its all built in, but I have to use my phone to broadcast to the screen on a normal Chromecast
    It runs every thing better than all the others. I'm just hanging an extra hard drive off the USB port for an extra 4TB of storage space for a Plex server on it.... (edited)
    Weirdy03/11/2021 22:01

I always think I know stuff but isn't a wired version of a streamer (ie a …I always think I know stuff but isn't a wired version of a streamer (ie a Nvida Shield apart from cost) always better/quicker/harder/faster....Sorry but I think that was a Bionic Man analogy, a better way to go if you can ?

Wired, as in the internet? If so you can buy a USB C Hub with Ethernet to plug into the CCwGTV but, depending on your internet setup, WiFi is just fine for it.
    If your going to buy the C hub for other reasons, maybe, but use that money towards the box you want otherwise. My Shield is about 3/4 years old and still stands its own
    Author
    kevlfc03/11/2021 16:37

from what ive read this is not really an point slightly faster and faster …from what ive read this is not really an point slightly faster and faster wifi only because of wifi 6 what is not really out on standard broadband routers stick with you 4k

Thanks. Since doing this post, I bought a Fire TV Cube. It hasn't got WiFi 6 but like you said, it isn't on standard routers anyway. I was wondering what the difference is with Chromecast Google TV though.
    Author
    McShane03/11/2021 16:52

I prefer the UI for the CCwGTV, ditched my Firestick for it instantly. As f …I prefer the UI for the CCwGTV, ditched my Firestick for it instantly. As for functionality wise, they're both the same and for me, both do what I need which is watching Plex and IPTV.

Thank you. That's good to know. I bought the Fire Cube today instead. I'll see how it goes. When I get bored of it, I might look into a Chromecast with Google TV. Or I might get one for my bedroom if I can get one cheap. Then I can have the best of both worlds.

What it is about the UI that you prefer though please? Is it easier to navigate? Can you still sideload apps onto it like the Firestick?
    Author
    McShane03/11/2021 17:20

For me the UI is just a lot more fluid but I came from a Gen 2 or 3 Firesti …For me the UI is just a lot more fluid but I came from a Gen 2 or 3 Firestick, so the UI would slow down a lot. I’m sure it’s probably just as good on the 4K Firestick though. Yes, side-loading is as easy as it is on the Firestick. Just grab the Downloader App from the store and away you go.

Thank you.
    Author
    ch7leach03/11/2021 21:00

I could not get on with firesticks or Roku, I have a Chromecast and Google …I could not get on with firesticks or Roku, I have a Chromecast and Google TV with Chromecast. Works very well for everything I need, tap a button on phone and it shows on your TV, no installing apps (well the TV you can but I don't)

Thank you. Does this mean your phone has to remain on the same page whilst it is showing on your TV? So you can't browse in your phone whilst it is casting? I've never done that so I don't know how it works.
    Author
    Weirdy03/11/2021 22:01

I always think I know stuff but isn't a wired version of a streamer (ie a …I always think I know stuff but isn't a wired version of a streamer (ie a Nvida Shield apart from cost) always better/quicker/harder/faster....Sorry but I think that was a Bionic Man analogy, a better way to go if you can ?

I got the Fire Cube TV today for £59. I'm still interested in the Chromecast for my bedroom though. I think the Nvida Shields are meant to be great but I've never looked into them. I've just seen folk on here talk about them. I've seen most say that they are the best. I think they are meant to cost a bit though. That's not what I'm looking for.
    Author
    Weirdy03/11/2021 22:20

I've got a Shield, Firestick 4k, SkyHD+ and trying to work out what to …I've got a Shield, Firestick 4k, SkyHD+ and trying to work out what to plug in to the last port on my main TV but just got a normal Firestick and a Chromecast on the Bedroom one.One's going to be regulated during BF deals.....I think the Cube might dip a bit more then too

I hope the Cube price doesn't dip more. I'll be fuming!

How do you find the Shield compared to the other devices you have please?
    Weirdy03/11/2021 22:58

If your going to buy the C hub for other reasons, maybe, but use that …If your going to buy the C hub for other reasons, maybe, but use that money towards the box you want otherwise. My Shield is about 3/4 years old and still stands its own

I'm actively looking for a Shield now. I bought a CCwGTV the other day but haven't opened it yet in case a good BF deal comes up for a Shield.

Would you say they're miles apart in terms of performance? I'm talking about a standard Shield btw, not the pro.

I plan to occasionally use it for GeForce Now so thought the Shield would be the best option even though the CCwGTV supports it too. Also, I've heard the AI upscaling is really good, and given that I don't have access to much 4K content (Netflix 4K, Sky etc), it would be nice to be able to get a bit more out of my 4K enabled TV.
's avatar