Posted 3 January 2024

Android Smartphone Security Questions

Hi Everyone, I hope you are having a smashing new year.

I have a Huawei P30 Pro for the last 4 years. Its an Awesome phone. Does everything I need:
  • Good Battery
  • OLED Screen
  • IR Blaster
  • Good performance

I'm planning a trip abroad and realise that the last security update was Dec 2022! That freaks me out as I will be using a foreign SIM and Hotel Wi-Fi. Should I be worried?

Someone said I'd be OK if I use a VPN. But will that kill my battery & Data Allowance?

Or is it better for me to invest in a new phone? I would need the above functions as a minimum and eSIM support. If this is the only option, can someone please suggest a phone.

Thanks to all in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    1."We used a Samsung S22 Ultra with an Android version for the Android device VPN battery drain test. The difference in battery consumption with and without a VPN on an Android device is just 3%, which is negligible. This shows that a VPN on an Android device doesn't drain much battery." (Astrill VPN)

2.Android VPN battery drain test (Surfshark)
    With a VPN connection to a Latvian server/ No VPN connection
    Starting battery level: 100% / 100%
    Finishing battery level: 96%/ 97%
    Battery consumed: 4%/ 3%

3. And here's a negative: You'll use slightly more data with a VPN because this service encrypts your data. That's an important privacy feature. But it does mean that using a VPN will grow the amount of data you consume by anywhere from 5 percent to 15 percent, according to some estimates. (Norton).

Quick Google shows the above, Battery impact negligible. More impact on data up to 5%- 15% extra usage.
    This is not 'kill my battery & Data Allowance' by any means.

No need to carry a charger but try and use WIFI more. Seems extreme to get a new phone? (edited)
    I doubt you need to be worried - why would someone be interested in your network activity?
    A VPN is a sensible solution, I wouldn't be worried if I wasn't running one though and it'll not impact battery life to any great extent nor use too much data.
    I still have my P30 Pro - no complaints, don't know why you would want to replace it.
    Author
    Just worried that its not getting security updates and reading online, it says that your phone becomes easier to hack if its not fully up-to-date with the latest security updated. I see that my last update was December 2022!
    gsmarena.com/res…s=2

Is eSIM an essential? I think most of them with dual sim. (edited)
    Author
    eSIMS are easier when travelling as you are up and running as soon as you get there....
    and a lot of the time cheaper too than buying local SIMs when you get there
    Unless you're a fool and installing random obscure apps on google play like new/low rating ones or those daft free wallpaper ones or have enabled unknown sources and are getting random apk's it's really not an issue, sure it's better be updated, but it's not a huge issue.

VPN wise shouldn't make much difference to the data usage, all it's doing is encrypting the same data you'd already be using. Battery wise it may have a minor impact but most modern chips should have hardware crypto so it'll be small and similar to any other background app. (edited)
    I would say - Foreign SIM will depend on the country and the sim. Hotel wifi is always potentially an issue.

So, yes a VPN is probably sensible. As to replacing the phone, that depends on what you use it for. A lot of security from Google is bundled into play services nowadays, rather than the OS itself, largely because of the lack of updates from some manufacturers. (But then it's a while since I used a Huawei - is the P30 still on Google supported OS?) (edited)
's avatar