Posted 21 May 2023

Bit random, but has anyone bought a static caravan in france

I was wondering about one day buying a statci caravan, possibly in France so l can take my kids away somewhere a bit more affordable….

Does anyone have any experience of this, the main thing that worries me is the site fees, as technically your at the mercy of the site owner, who could put the price up at at any time and of worry about being stuck with huge fees and a holiday home l can’t sell!

I could pay some fees of course, l just need to have a good idea of the cost before start getting more serious about this.

thanks in advance for any help!
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you've got enough money would it be a good idea to buy one that you can also rent out? Then it can bring in some money during the times you are in 'Brexile'. (unless you have an EU passport)
    Unless you're going to buy several to let out, I doubt there's much Value in it. The fee's are usually ridiculously high. Probably much better and cheaper to rent one whenever required.
    possibly in France so l can take my kids away somewhere a bit more affordable

You'll probably end up spending a fortune on channel crossings and French toll roads
    I considered buying one in Spain until I saw the almost £5k annual site fees, which makes them very hard to afford and even harder to sell
    As somebody above alluded to, you also need to be aware of Brexit and EU rules relating to maximum periods of being in the EU and any non returnable period. For example, I think you can stay up to 90 days in any 180 day period but then can't return for at least 90 days (you'd be better checking in case my numbers are incorrect). Something to think about - a van you can't use is no good to you
    My Dad has one on the east coast of England. Not particularly helpful but just to warn you that it can be quite an expensive experience very quickly - site fees rise rapidly once you're bought in, electricity is a little higher than you'd pay at home because, well, what are you going to do! and you can easily add £4k/year depreciation as the site stipulates you pay a corkage fee if you bu a new caravan from anywhere else but there.
's avatar