Posted 28 March 2024

Buy toner or a new printer - HP Color LaserJet Pro M283fdw Printer?

I have an HP Color LaserJet Pro M283fdw Printer. The toner has run out. Should I buy new toner for £170? HP is now restricting 3rd party toners. Or should I just cut my losses and buy a new printer, which will be cheaper when I need new toner? Can anyone recommend a similar printer that's cheap for replacement toner?

Community Updates
New Comment

25 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Woudn't have an HP as a gift, they are unreliable most of the time, ( in my personal experience ) and they rip you off with the way they force you to use their own refills.
    I'd check out offers on other Laser printers , been some Brother offers on here for around the price of those toners.
    Author
    Yes that’s what I’m thinking. Maybe buy a brother and hopefully the toner is cheap next time. Annoying when the HP cost me £250
    Can't you just refill the original cartridges with toner powder?
    Author
    How do you do that?
    Buy HP eco tank, I have 2 printers for the last 3 or 4 years and just finished one tank in one printer, the second one-half full. Still printing like on day 1 (edited)
    Author
    Which printer do you have? I bought a laser last time so the toner lasts a long time and doesn't dry up
    You can get cloned cartridges, but they are still expensive... I'd jump ship and buy a new printer that takes cheaper ones.
    Inkjets are ok as long as you use them frequently... Otherwise I'd recommend another laser. (edited)
    Just got brother laser printer. Did look at standard Inkjet printers but even the compatible cartridges are expensive now
's avatar