Posted 30 May 2022

Can I watch sky apps and on demand without the satellite cables plugged in?

As per the title - my main living room is being redecorated and having to move my tv and box upstairs

Can I still access the sky apps like Netflix and on demand without it being plugged in to the sat dish?

If so - how do you get it to work as I just get an error msg saying to use this service you need a satellite signal. Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you have a newish tv can't you access Netflix from the tv Netflix app using your Wi-Fi?
    Author
    Unfortunately it’s not a newish tv!! It’s bloody 15 years old
    I would've thought those apps use wi-fi to stream their content, however I would also think they would require comms with Sky in order to tell if you are a valid subscriber hence why the satellite cables would need to be connected
    No the sky box has to be plugged into the satellite dish. Even if you have a multi room box it still has to connect to the main box to work. Your only options are to plug in an xbox or PlayStation to that TV or use a tablet, mobile and download the sky go app on any of them and you will get all the access to Sky channels.
    Someone might be able to clarify for me if this is still a thing (I went back to uni as a mature student so had to ditch luxuries like Sky), but this is how we did it:

Add a Sky Go subscription to your existing sub
    Get a original Xbox One - can be got for very little money these days - Well under £100
    Install Sky Go app
    Then the Xbox worked essentially as a Wifi Sky Box.

You couldn't record, but on Demand stuff and live was fine.

The only caveat is that it's 18 months since I got rid of it, so wouldn't like to say that it definitely still works, but articles like this:

techradar.com/uk/…box

Suggest it shouldn't be an issue. Not a perfect solution, and not quite the question you were asking, but a solution all the same. (edited)
    You can watch Netflix on your pc/laptop and also install the Sky Go app to watch your programmes.
    AdamWalkerGX730/05/2022 16:37

Unfortunately it’s not a newish tv!! It’s bloody 15 years old

You can buy a roku box. What does the tv have. Any usb etc
's avatar