Posted 9 September 2022

Electric pressure cooker energy consumption vs gas stove pressure cooker?

GPC201SS-20 5.5L 1000W Pressure Cooker (George).
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Gas is considerably cheaper than electricity, on my tariffs 1kwh of electricity is 5 times the cost of 1kwh of gas.

So a pressure cooker on a gas stove would have to use 5 times as much energy to cook the same amount of food, to cost more than an electric one.

Realistically a gas hob will waste some heat escaping into the room especially if you've got the gas too high, and a well designed electric one could waste very little, but the difference will be no where near enough to cover the higher price of electricity. (edited)
    And in the winter all that wasted gas heat is just heating your house anyway meaning the cantral heating doesn't have to work so hard.
    So according to the video below at 14:06 gas uses almost 3.5 times as much energy to boil water, gas is currently 4 times cheaper per kWh than electricity (7p vs 28p) so gas would theoretically be slightly cheaper, personally I prefer electric I use an induction hob which is even more efficient than a normal electric cooker and no hit to air quality from gas
    Interesting video, I'm surprised the heat wastage on gas with that kettle is quite so much, but I think he had the burner too high for the size and shape of kettle he used. I used to use a rapid boil gas kettle which has a raised base so you could turn the gas up to full and the flames would be contained within the base rather than lapping around the sides, avoiding so much heat escaping around the sides or the handle getting hot.

I don't have the gas on full when using pressure cookers, which probably have a wider base than that kettle, and turn it down when it gets to pressure to get a very gentle hiss, so I suspect it would be wasting considerably less. (edited)
    I don't know the answer to your question but what I do know is electric pressure cookers are much better to use . They are far more controllable and have timers , so you're only cooking for the time needed. Stove top pressure cookers are a faff and need you to be in attendance to reduce the heat when it get to pressure and do all the timing yourself. I like just setting and leaving my Instantpot and would never go back to a stove top again.
    7 minutes to do 850 gram of mash in the ninja pressure cooker got to be cheaper than stove top
    Only if you're getting you electricity off the back of a lorry! (edited)
    so my way quicker but not cheaper 😔
's avatar