Posted 2 days ago

Enquiry MOT Car

Hi guys!

Thinking about buying a car, little runaround work to home. Guy who want to sell me a car just passed the mot on it. Could anyone knows what the letters and numbers means at then of the monitor and repair as necessary :

Offside Front Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (5.2.3 (d) (i))

Offside Rear Shock absorbers has light misting of oil (5.3.2 (b))

What means the 5.2.3 (d) (i)
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You need a new tyre, and the seal on your shock has blown, so you'll need to replace both shocks
    Shocks always come up with a light misting of oil, wouldn't worry about it, I've had cars with an advisory for light misting of oil on lots of cars, never got worse, if it eventually fails the shock test then replace both sides at the same time.
    If they are both advisories then they are not a fail, tyres can still just get an advisory if the test deems them safe.
    If you send me the reg I can do a full check for you including damage etc.
    My dad was a mechanic, when lorries went in for an mot, the tester had an oil can with a 2 foot nozzle.
    They would push it up the shock and give a little squirt.
    Fail the lorry, show you the dirty oil leaking down.
    It happened to my dad, he point out that the lorry had air suspension, tester ran off and came back with the mot and a sheepish look on his face.
    No backhander this time.
    It's this. It refers to what section/sub-section the defect falls under.
    Last September my tyres were 3 years old and only done 10k.
    I got an advisory for cracks.
    I think the tester was hunting for issues.
    Bought an Alphard, Japanese import. 2007, less than 25k miles. Passed the MOT, perfect. Two weeks later the tyres started falling apart. Just old rubber. They do have a shelf life, but no one ever checks ( I know I didn't, until now).
    Author
    Thank you guys!

Found out guy who was trying to sell me his 'great little car' bought it on auction recently for 400£ and now tried to sell it to me for 1700£ 1 week later.... car been not reported to insurance company after been in accident.. scammers everywhere...
's avatar