Posted 21 hours ago

F connector and adapter - how to connect using old sky dish

Hi

I have these old f connector leads left behind from someone who had a sky box. These leads come out of my wall

4341758_1.jpg
However these do not fit into my TV, so I was told to buy this which I did and now have

4341758_1.jpgamzn.eu/d/0…sDf

But how do I get these two leads to work together. They both have pins on the end. Do I have to buy yet another things to attach these.

Sorry for keep making posts about this but it's so frustrating

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

39 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Why dont we just get some more info first....personally Im getting confused as there are 2 discussion threads on this same subject....stick everything in 1 place...

OP can you provide/confirm ....

1/ Youre trying to connect the sky dish left behind by the previous occupiers to your tv ....for freeview or freesat?

2/ Which connector on the tv are you trying to connect to .....a coax type input for freeview or an f connector type input for freesat satellite?

52737140-mSMHw.jpg3/ whats the model of the tv ....to verify its a freesat tv?

4/ Is the external dish just feeding these 2 cable inside your house directly (i.e. same cable all the way) or have you got any junctions in the loft or any wall plates ? (edited)
    The connections you were left with are the right ones for the TV. You do not need anything else.

You only need one connection out of the 2 but keep the other lead for later just in case,

Secondly, you have not put the connector on straight. That is why is doesn't work & screw on properly.

Once it screws on properly it should work.
    Thing is, even with the length of the central wire - sometimes it just needs pushed in further/harder, as some devices are "grippier" than others in my experience.
    Just get IPTV
    If you are attempting to shove a sat signal into the terrestrial aerial socket on your TV,
    that will not result in any beneficial outcome.

If your TV has an integral sat tuner, it will (should) have sat F-connector input socket (female),
    in which case you just shuv one of the existing off-white cables with male F-connector in your photo into that female F-connector socket in the TV,
    or if the off-white cable is too short to reach TV location:
    but buy a standard sat cable extension with F-connectors each end (one end male; one end female). (edited)
    I think you are looking for something like these. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. Also the link is for a random seller. You can get an adapter or a cable but the ends are the same.

The copper cable fits in the hole.

amazon.co.uk/Coa…-14

I thought you only need to use on of the wires? They had two so the old sky box could record one channel while you watch another. I might be mistaken though
    OP.

Tell me that your TV can actually receive satellite signals? Most can't.
    The two leads do not work together they work separately. They originaly screwed into an old sky box. The old sky box had two seperate tuners, so that you could watch one channel and record a second channel. If you connected them together it would cause a conflict with the different frequencies. If your TV has a satellite tuner built in you only need to screw one of the leads into it. It doesn't matter which one as they are identical. If the TV has a satellite tuner, you will need to do a system scan. However you will only be able to watch channels that are not encrypted, sky news etc or terrestrial channels like BBC or ITV.
    If your TV doesn't have a satellite tuner then these leads are of no use to you unless you buy a freesat tuner and connect it to your TV
    In your original post you mentioned your TV model which does do Freesat. I don't know why you are finding it so difficult to connect the cable after the advice from the people on the other thread.
    Author
    Because the cable doesn't fit properly in the f connector hole in the back of the TV. No channels are found when it's plugged in and after i do a sat scan. I just want to see if this sodding sky dish works
    Maybe consider the basics of connector mating:

Just for kicks:
    does the Amazon-supplied cable male F-connector screw OK into the female F-connector on the TV?

If it does, but one (or both) the F-connectors on the end of the off-white cable don't:
    you may need to trim the centre stiff wire that protrudes beyond the outer shell of the F-connector on the off-white cable so that it is flush or just below the F-connector outer shell:
    compare it to the Amazon cable F-connector centre pin that presumably does fit in the TVs F-connector socket.

If you do trim the stiff centre wire; make sure it is in the centre of the shell afterwards just like the Amazon cable's connector's centre pin, then re-try screwing it into the TVs female F-connector socket.
    Author
    52738076-E4NED.jpg
    So you mean to trim off the bit sticking past the edge of the cap. The needle is very wobbly and it's hard to plug it in as it is. Are you sure nothing else needs to screw on this before putting it in the TV ?
    The only connecter on the TV wired up to the satellite tuner will be the F connector. Trying to plug it into other ones like the terrestrial antenna connector won't be helpful.

You say they 'don't fit properly' and they don't look terribly well made. Does the F connector end of the new cable fit properly in the TV socket?
    If your TV does NOT have an f-female input, it can't use a satellite dish ! (These need power from the receiver AND work on totally different frequencies to a 'normal' TV antenna)
    I agree with the last 3 comments but until the OP explains clearly whats he's got and whats he's trying to do (in english not necessarily technical terms) we're all speculating ....including me.

He's got some photos in there which is always a good start....
    A lot of the above points are covered in the other thread.

They've been told to trim the cable if needed, where to connect it, the model of TV does supposedly have a satellite tuner... (edited)
    Author
    And this is the TV I have

lg.com/uk/…la/
    your tv has as satellite tuner as far as i can see, so the f connector should be able to connect directly to the tv
    It looks to me that you are trying to connect the satellite plug at an angle and getting it cross threaded so it won't screw on properly, move those boxes and cable out of the way of the TV's satellite socket, so the satellite cable can be fed in straight.

I'd advise turning the TV off when connecting/removing a satellite plug because the TV provides power through it and with some sat tuners there is a risk of damage if they are connected or disconnected while powered.

There's a good chance the LNB on the dish will be a Sky-Q one in which case you won't get a picture and it will need to be replaced, which is a fairly easy job if you can get easy access to the dish.
    This was discussed on the other thread. If it's a Q lnb they will at least get something but it will at least prove the dish works. However, looking at the cables they look old enough to be pre Q.

It was suggested that op gets someone to have a look but they say their local friends are not at all technical.
's avatar