Posted 3 April 2022

Huawei P30 pro security update.

I'm confused regarding Google updates vs Huawei updates.
My understanding is that first gen P30 pro (march 2019) will stop receiving updates now. 3 years later.
Using a phone with no security updates is a big risk apparently ?
Can any one offer clarity?
Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

4 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I own a P20 Pro and 2 P30 Pro's. I understand the scepticism, however it is a real concern. Every device that connects to the internet is a potential target to hackers. Having out of date patches means there is a greater attack surface for hackers. There is a lot of information to be had from any internet device - it can also act as a conduit to other devices. It may seem of little concern to you, but understand that there is value to a hacker. They can access your personal information. This can be used for many things - such as ordering something from the internet, to ordering a passport. They can even build up a pattern of your travel - this way they could known when you will be away from your house and break in unchallenged. It's worth realising the potential of a compromised device (They could reset your device & delete all you data as another example - or create ransomware). It's a fun challenge my kids give me on a regular basis when they forget their password. You should try and access your own personal device without using your password or biometrics and see how far you can get, you may be surprised by how much data you expose on a regular basis! (edited)
    P30 Pro is scheduled to get EMUI 12, which should bring security updates, although not too frequently. I have a Mate 20 Pro and am not concerned, just don't install random stupid apps like the free wallpaper ones posted on sites like this and you'll generally be fine. I bet you'll find you're running smart bulbs, smart switches, routers etc that have been upated a lot less recently but are you disconnecting them as they probably have vulnerabilities?
    Huawei P30 Pro EMUI 12 update is expanding in Europe - Huawei Central
    Stable EMUI 12 update plan for Europe [Updated] - Huawei Update (edited)
    Author
    Thankyou aLV426.
    Looks like I better resign myself to Xiaomi phones then. I won't be paying out for a new flagship anytime soon.
    Author
    Dcx_badass
    Well that's a pont with the smart lights etc, but do you know the difference between Google software update and Huawei own updates ?
    (not sure how reply but remove all the text except name)
's avatar