Posted 12 September 2023

Misprice = take what money you like?

I purchased a misprice item yesterday in a sale(around £50 instead of £500) thinking that it'll either be honoured or cancelled as per the norm but the retailer decided to help themselves to my bank account and take what they wanted.
I was a little surprised my bank allowed them to do this as it didn't prompt me for security due to the low original amount during the original purchase.
If I understand correctly the retailer should have asked for the difference prior to shipping or I suppose if it has shipped I imagine they can simply ask for it back.

Has anyone expereinced anything similar to this in the past, I'm sure it'll be easily resolved today but this is a new one on me.
Community Updates
New Comment

23 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    100% that's fraud. They used your card details without permission.

Dispute the amount with Lloyds. Don't say why or anything. Just say you don't recognize and didn't authorize the large transaction.
    Name and shame the retailer so we can all avoid in future
    True. Don't think I've heard this before if a reputable retailer. Hope you get it sorted op but pretty shocking.
    Which retailer was this?
    Author
    Callaway Golf
    So did they take 500 or a different random amount ?
    Author
    I was just rounding for simplicity but they took £59.37 for the original purchase and then a second transaction for £489.45.
    Sorry never experienced this before but please keep us updated with the outcome.
    It sounds like the retailer noticed the mistake and manually charged the difference using your card details. This definitely isn't allowed. The bank wouldn't have known that this wasn't a second purchase with the same retailer.
    Author
    That's exactly what happened and I'm amazed a bank as big as Lloyds allowed it to happen.

The retailer has come back promptly which is something at least and offered to collect the item for a full refund if I'm not happy with the total price. (edited)
    I would pull Lloyd's bank up, that shouldn't of gone through
    "The bank wouldn't have known that this wasn't a second purchase with the same retailer."
    Any update mate on this?
    Author
    Nothing major as of yet, clarifying with the retailer whether they'll honour the original price or not, will speak to the bank today, I had to wait for it to leave the account instead of it pending for them to investigate
's avatar