Posted 9 December 2023

Please recommend a site to purchase Microsoft Office

Hi, my inlaws asked me to find them a copy of Office 2021. Surprised to find it in a lot of places for £10 - is there a catch or is that the going rate nowadays? Last time I bought office it was £79. They have 365 online but want a standalone version. Thanks!
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I have bought Microsoft office from this company at least 5 times. My first time was around 7 years ago and it's been perfectly fine.

Some companies do this thing where you buy it for £2-£3 and they give you a log in email address and password.

This is different. With this you'll get a download link and a Microsoft office activation key. It's quite straightforward.

This one is only compatible with windows & 2010 & 2011 but there will be other similar ones available across the internet.
    As a heads-up for others, their T&Cs are a copy and paste of another companies (complete with naming them)

Doesn't inspire confidence about their legitimately.
    Generally a legitimate, new key will be 10-20% cheaper than buying from Microsoft directly.

The really cheap ones are either outright dodgy or second hand copies. Unfortunately it's a very murky market where it's often impossible to differentiate the two.
    dm'd you
    Cheap copies are 'activation keys', effectively software piracy.

Student & Home would be the cheapest official route, approx. £80-120 depending on offers.
    As others have mentioned paying <£20 is just piracy. Either license the real thing or try one of the many free alternatives...
    Also worth pointing out that the official online version is £79.99, the offline version is £119
    microsoft.com/en-…tab

Paying <£20 for either of those products is most certainly piracy (edited)
    Try WPS office (free) Very similar to ms office
    If they have 365 online they should probably just upgrade their subscription to include the desktop version. Trying to mix office online with the desktop version bought outright works a bit weirdly.

As others have noted, if it's a too good to be too price, it may work but it's not "legit".
's avatar