Posted 1 day ago

Recommend a "small" android smartphone for child

Hi, I am out if touch with the latest smartphone market so looking for some suggestions on smallish smartphone for 11 year old. Needs to be android and good battery life. Good camera will be a bonus. Looked at Google Pixel 6a but battery life is questionable. Budget around £125. Most others I looked at have bigger screens (6.4" or larger) making it difficult to use. Haven't used Motorola so not sure how good they are. Suggestions/recommendations please.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    A phone with 128gig of memory for the many game apps with a magnetic adapter charge plug as kids rip that off damaging plug.
    A tough case and glass screen protector.

Why the spec for a decent camera? All phones come with a decent camera good enough for most of us. Kids hardly take any photos from what I've seen and most of those never get looked at. All for amusement.

Motorola phone. 3 gig ram and 128gig memory will do the trick.
    Or second hand phone of similar spec.

Expect phone to be dropped or lost. All kids are different though, but phones are difficult for kids to hold. (edited)
    This is likely a phone for seconday school, in which case photos with school friends is just part of the day.

As a parent you dont want to have pressure to buy another phone because your child or their friends considers the phone rubbish. A 6A is actually a good option, great camera, long term support, and people know "pixel".

The minimum requirement for android 13/14 is 3GB, after you put lots of applications on with background processes, you will struggle with 4GB. So 6GB would be the minimum to last then a couple years.
    At that budget, you dont have any options.

Manufacturer make all their cheap phones with 6.4inch+ screens due to economy of scale.

Good cameras on a 2nd hand phone arent possible outside of a pixel. Any chance of you upping your budget?

m.gsmarena.com/res…=20

Candidate 1: uk.webuy.com/pro…n=1 (edited)
    [deleted]
    If the camera in the A51 is anything like the camera in the A51 5G, then it is possibly the worst camera I'm ever seen in a smartphone (and that goes back 10+ years...)
    Check out this very good offer for £104 for a decent solid performing phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 12 (retails for £160 at Argos = argos.co.uk/pro…423 )

Specifications:
    4GB/128GB (120Hz AMOLED, SD685, 5000mAh, 50MP, 33W, microSDXC, Dual SIM)

hotukdeals.com/dea…082
's avatar