Posted 27 September 2023

Refusing delivery on an order or returning an item assistance

Hi all, I purchased a TV from mark's electrical eBay outlet last night and all was good. However a crazy, much better TV deal popped up on here this morning and I couldn't say no. The marks electrical TV is she to be delivered tomorrow. I know I'm covered through eBay etc and that marks electrical are a decent company.

I was just wondering what the best thing to do was because I've never done this before
But I just couldnt say no to the deal that popped up (HotUKDeals fault!!)
Do I just refuse delivery and give a valid reason? I'm presuming once if I take it in i will have to pay to return etc?

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    As I am an eBay seller, I highly advise you to never refuse the delivery. You void your buyer's protection/money back guarantee. The only exception would be if there was added postage fees that you didn't agree to.

The easiest thing you can do in this situation is to accept delivery and immediately open a return. The reason for this is that you changed your mind. Mark's Electrical should send you a prepaid label so everything works, all you'll have to do is print out the label or use alternative methods to get the label printed, usually done at post offices or drop off locations dependant on the courier.

Because Marks is a business, they probably have discounted rates for all their postage needs so I'd imagine the costs won't reflect as much as they would from a consumer. (edited)
    I think you meant "ebay buyer" because seller doesn't make sense!

Specific term that states the buyer loses their eBay protection if they refuse delivery: ebay.co.uk/hel…t=1 (edited)
    Just contact marks electrical and ask to cancel.
    Author
    Done this and ive had no reply today. think i will have to just refuse delivery
    Author
    Hi all. Marks electrical got back to me a couple of hours before delivery was due and cancelled and refunded my order. So all is good. Not cancelled an order before after purchasing but a deal on another TV popped up straight away and it was just a much better TV with a massive discount.
    That's awesome news you were able to work it out with them. I was under the impression it was dispatched and was on its way.

But yeah if you continue buying on eBay and you want to cancel an item but it can't be done because it's been dispatched... don't refuse it at the door. Accept it always.
    If it was me, I'd speak to the retailer first on an expensive item like this because refusing delivery runs the risk it doesn't get processed properly, goes missing, and you have to argue for a refund.
    If they take delivery, will then be responsible for return postage cost and dealing with issues if it gets damaged on the way back.
's avatar