Posted 12 December 2023

Switch or meta quest VR?

Looking to buy a present for my partner and I'm torn between the switch and meta quest.

I feel like the quest would be more fun and have the wow factor. But would probably get discarded.

Where as the switch would have more staying power and can be used for local coop and multiplayer (and be used for travelling)?

Any advice people
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I have both I use the quest more. It would really depend if you were wanting to play as well. The quest has lots of multiplayer games which doesn't cost anything extra to play online unlike the switch which you need to pay a subscription for but obviously it's better for local multiplayer than the quest is
    Also have both. Thing is no one can answer this for you. You are best placed to know what is likely more important. No doubt the Quest has more 'WOH' factor, but sadly (unless you're playing online with friends) no one else gets to share this. Looking at someone with this on and listening to them is funny - but it's odd as you can't see what they are seeing.

Switch (like other consoles) can always lead to more 'shared experiences' if this is important. Only you can know what is important to your partner and what you're looking to get out of this gift.
    Remember with the Switch it is heavily rumored that the Switch 2 will be out next year. The Switch is coming to the end of its life cycle.
    Don't believe rumours. It's rare a company releases a console without a long road of advertisement prior, especially one that hasn't been confirmed.
    So I don't think we'd see a switch 2 till 2025. But that's just my speculation (edited)
    I also have both, or should I say now have both.
    I have had a switch since it first came out and I can still play all of the games on it even the new ones.
    So if you can see a lot of the "type" of games he likes to play and as other said be able to share and have a laugh at Chritsmas time playing the family games around the TV then I would get a Switch.

I have just bought a Quest 3 and it got delivered yesterday and I must say I am blow away by it.
    I didn't just get it for the games, which I must say I was impressed you can sideload them onto it.
    I got it for the big screen experience of watching Tv, my computer and the games on it.
    You can cast this to your Tv screen so others can see how you are doing in the games, but I will not be doing that.

So I guess it break it down, maybe drop hints of what type of experience he wants when playing games, as you might find yourself a "gaming widow".
's avatar