Posted 8 March 2022

Tui nightmare - do not rely on them

We booked flights to Florida with Tui for later this month, we booked to go in their Premium Economy cabin as we have done for many many years now.
Yesterday we received an email form them saying they had changed our seats - okay no problem so we looked up where they had moved us to only to find that not only had the seats changed but so had the cabin! We phoned Tui to complain and got told 'Oh well, we have refunded the difference, it will go on your card within 28 days". Not a word of apology, not a word of explanation, no mention of compensation just we have refunded the difference in price. Well that is good of them!! refunding the cost of something they are not providing even if it is going to take them 4 weeks when we pay instantly!! We do not want to fly in Economy, we pay the higher price to sit in a smaller cabin with more room, that way I do not feel too claustrophobic. We decided to cancel but Tui are refusing to refund the money we paid saying the tickets are non refundable, even though they have changed the terms of the contract and we should claim through our travel insurance. Why should the travel insurance have to pay for Tui's incompetency!! We have recommended so many people to fly Tui but never again, they clearly cannot be trusted and customer service is totally lacking They haven't even changed the plane, when we booked there were still 6 seats in prem ec and if the plane hasn't changed but our cabin has - why?!!!!!
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Sorry to hear of you issues, Always found them spot on and very helpful from my personal experiences. (edited)
    If you paid on a credit card you can request a full refund via a chargeback, if it was via a debit card the bank may assist.

The case is simply you did not get what you purchased so a full refund should be entitled to obtain.
    Author
    E_T_C08/03/2022 21:21

If you paid on a credit card you can request a full refund via a …If you paid on a credit card you can request a full refund via a chargeback, if it was via a debit card the bank may assist.The case is simply you did not get what you purchased so a full refund should be entitled to obtain.

This is what we are now trying to do. Tui say they will not refund even though they changed the booking. We are hoping the cc company have more success, if not a legal battle will begin.
    Tui changed my flights the day after I booked.Went form 7am to 4pm and said tough turkey it’s in the T&c’s
    so I lose half a day holiday which including transfer times and setting up at hotel is pretty much the whole day inreality.
    The world has changed!

Routes are not so competitive, demand is increasing so travellers are in a take or leave it.

I suspect the seats in the forward cabin were doubled booked in case someone pulls out (covid, cancellation rules etc) which is what happens and then they do not have to fly with empty seats.

It was fairly common on tight routes in the USA for many years. (edited)
    groenleader08/03/2022 11:15

The world has changed! Routes are not so competitive, demand is increasing …The world has changed! Routes are not so competitive, demand is increasing so travellers are in a take or leave it. I suspect the seats in the forward cabin were doubled booked in case someone pulls out (covid, cancellation rules etc) which is what happens and then they do not have to fly with empty seats.It was fairly common on tight routes in the USA for many years.

Either double booked or the plane they plan to use doesn't have them.
's avatar