Posted 10 March 2024

VPN for travelling

Hi all. I'm going away for a couple of weeks and was wondering what's a good vpn to use from abroad? I'll need it for mobile as well as desktop/macbook.
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    [deleted]
    Countries such as China, North Korea and Russia..
    10 Countries Where VPNs Are Illegal
    cyberghostvpn.com/en_…vpn

Technically any VPN will work in any country that doesn't ban them. I won't travel to any country that would cut me off from UK media, Google, my email service, etc.
    Make your own VPN on a PI/own router - will work with all services without issue and you can use a custom port to overcome blocking that way
    if you don't have one at the moment, sign up to windscribe as they have a free 10gb a month for sign ups.

windscribe.com/fea…ee/ (edited)
    If you're taking a laptop supplied by a big employer, you're likely to discover that you'll be blocked from using a consumer VPN due to the installed security policy. In order to watch UK TV while abroad on holiday I took a second laptop for this reason, could connect to the hotel's TV HDMI. I'd like a more lightweight solution though and have been looking at physical travel routers that can piggy back on hotel WiFi, including those captive portal WiFis. Asus has an attractive looking travel router, new for 2024, but I'm not convinced it'll work in the way I want with Windscribe.

amazon.co.uk/ASU…WXJ
    Standard policy at all large employers; in my case, installation of anything is not only blocked but any attempt will be viewed suspiciously. I just carry my tablet.
's avatar