Posted 7 January 2024

Work from Home - wireless mouse/keyboard to work with Switcher

I'm starting WFH next week, my company supplied everything but they gave me wired mouse/keyboard. Want to buy myself wireless but I use 2 laptops and 2 monitors for work .
I got the switcher that I just switch mouse /keyboard between laptops/screens.
I ask line manager but he saying that some wireless mouse/keyboard could not work with Switcher. Is there any way to check it before the purchase? He couldn't answer it and thought maybe someone more with hardware knowledge could help. There is connection for mouse and keyboard separate on switcher and thinking maybe I need wireless keyboard and mouse that got separate USB receivers or that doesn't matter?

Thank you!
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I have a Logitech MX Keys keyboard and a MX Master 3 mouse.

Both use Bluetooth, and I can easily swap between machines using the buttons on the keyboard/mouse to another machine.

This assumes that you can connect a bluetooth device to each of the machines

I do also have a couple of Logitech K380 keyboards, I really liked these, only swapping as the MX Keys is next level. (edited)
    A vote for Logitech MX for me too but I'm now not fortunate enough to be allowed to WFH due to 'cyber risk' despite doing so for 18 months during COVID 😔
    I've got a couple of usb-c docks and also my monitor has a built in dock which I primarily use. All of them work flawlessly with my wireless razer kb+mouse. Simply plugging in the USB receiver into a USB port switches them over to what ever the dock is controlling at that time.

I don't know what dock you are using but it works fine on Lenovo and Dell for me (edited)
    Author
    Thanks, the switch got separate usb connection for mouse and keyboard.

Do you think if I buy wireless keyboard/mouse that work on one receiver that could cause issuess? Like I said on switcher are both separate connection for mouse/keyboard that are wired the one I got now from office
    For transitioning input between several devices use software KVM such as Mouse Without Borders (standalone version, not the one bundled with MS Powertoys due to silly bug with user security) or use InputDirector which is more feature rich but performance is worse.

Another option is to setup Windows Project which enables extension of monitor 1 by using monitor 2 on another device as a second extended screen. Not really a substitute for software KVM above, but the Windows Project can be used in conjunction with a software KVM (via pressing Windows key and K key to switch Windows Project on/off)

Further reading here (edited)
    Logitech MK850 can switch between devices (edited)
's avatar