Posted 18 June 2020

Xiaomi UK store deliberately preventing returns/refusing refunds

I was a big Xiaomi fan until I ordered a phone from the official UK store that arrived broken. I notified them the day it arrived and was fobbed off 4 times over the phone arranging a return for refund. After each call no returns envelope came. On my 5th call I eventually got a returns envelope and I sent it off. 1 week later I got it back still broken with no explanation and then thereafter they said I had no rights as the 30 day return period had expired. The whole process felt like this was deliberate to prevent a refund return. No more Xiaomi for mi. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Credit card charge back?
    Charge back
    Author
    I fortunately kept records of all my calls, emails/letters and postal receipts. Got the bank to refund the transaction. Purpose of email was to raise awareness and see if my experience was unique or now a trend. I have had multple Xiaomi devices/phones all fantastic however this is the first time I had to use their customer service/returns and it really has left me quite unsettled. I am unlikely to purchase from them again with my debit card if at all. I would advise anyone to purchase with a credit card as it gives you even more rights and security.
    Name and shame, on Twitter and Facebook
    Hey Doesn't sound great!

Can't make any promises but we'll see if we can reach out to a contact there for them to provide you wish some assistance here on site.
    Charge back even from debit card
    Your text description suggests you exercised your simple right to reject IAW Section 20-22 Consumer Rights Act 2015. If so, simple LBA then MCOL should be straightforward claim as official Mi UK store has been UK-based since circa Dec 2019.
    Will only be an issue if your rejection was not "clear enough to be understood by the trader", or if the item had/has no fault.
    legislation.gov.uk/ukp…ted
    legislation.gov.uk/ukp…ted

Could also go the chargeback route, but would still commence LBA as chargeback may involve extended timeframe.
's avatar