Posted 25 July 2022

Amazon to increase price of Prime subscription to £8.99 per month / £95 per year for UK customers from Sep 15th 2022

FYI - the biggest price increase to Prime in years to kick in from 15th September 2022.

So nice of Jeff to do this - I guess he must be running low on billions.

Amazon is to hike the price of its Prime delivery and streaming service due to “increased inflation and operating costs”.

"The price of Prime from £7.99 each month to £8.99 from September 15 for new customers, or on the date of the customer’s next renewal.

Annual membership will increase from £79 to £95 per year in the UK"

Student membership will increase from £3.99 to £4.49, and the price of the annual Prime Student membership will increase from £39.00 to £47.49.

A spokeswoman for the company said: “Prime offers the best of shopping and entertainment, and continues to improve each year.

“We have increased the number of products available with fast, unlimited Prime delivery, recently added ultra-fast fresh grocery delivery, and have significantly expanded our high-quality digital entertainment, including TV, movies, music, games, and books.

“With increased inflation and operating costs in the UK continuing to rise, we will change the price of Prime.”

Source

Not the best timing as many continue to struggle against the cost of living crisis, rising bills at home and increased costs in stores, so if you haven't done so - it may be worth switching your membership to annual and lock in the lower price for a year a day before the price hike kicks in.

Will you retain your membership or look to cancel?

-----

Info added by

You can avoid the first year of price hikes by signing up here for £79 per year -You have until 15th Sept

Whats included with Prime?

3972126_1.jpg
Best of shopping

FREE Premium Delivery
FREE Same-Day Delivery(in select residential postcodes)
FREE Priority Delivery to ROI

Best of entertainment

Prime Video
Amazon Music
Prime Reading

Exclusive with Prime

Early access to Lightning Deals
Share benefits in your household
Unlimited storage with Amazon Photos

Not forgetting Amazon Household

Amazon Household allows you to share Amazon benefits with another adult and children.

Both adults share select Prime benefits, digital content using Family Library, and can manage the profiles of children in the Amazon Household. An Amazon Household can contain the following members:

Up to two adults (aged 18 and over), each with their own Amazon account.
Up to four children (children can't shop on Amazon).

To create or manage your Amazon Household, please visit Manage Your Household.

Sharing Amazon Prime BenefitsTo share Prime benefits and digital content between adults, both adults must link their accounts through Amazon Household and agree to share payment methods. This won't affect current payment settings, but each adult will be able to copy the payment cards of the other account and use them for purchases on Amazon.co.uk. To share Prime Video streaming, both adults must have a Buy Now billing address and payment method within the UK. Both adults will keep their own personal account while sharing Prime benefits. Visit Amazon Household for a full list of all Prime benefits that can be shared.

Prime can't be shared with children. Prime Student members (trial or paid), Prime Video members (trial or paid), and customers who receive shipping benefits from another member can’t share their Prime benefits.

Digital Content

You can link two adult Amazon accounts to share eBooks, apps, and games.

Adults can share digital content (eBooks, apps, and games) with children. They can control and personalize each child's experience by selecting what content they can see, and setting educational goals and time limits.

While sharing payment methods is a requirement for adults to share digital content through Family Library, this is not required for an adult to share digital content with children. Please see here for more information.

Content from household member accounts is also shared on compatible Alexa devices. Please see How Do Household Profiles Work on Alexa Devices? for more information.

Are Amazon increasing Prime prices in other Countries?

Yep!

Shoppers in Germany, Amazon's second-biggest market after the United States, will see fees for an annual Prime membership rise 30% to 89.90 euros ($91.88). Amazon sites covering Spain, Italy and France will charge Prime members between 39% and 43% more yearly.

Thanks merb0786 for the heads up on the increase
Community Updates
New Comment

1157 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    How do you cancel the auto renewal? that's how they got me the last time and I thought, well, it's paid now, might as well keep it.
    I've just done it , go into my account.. there will be a membership menu in there where you can switch off auto renew.. on the Amazon app it is at the top of the page in blue (small writing naturally)
    The temptation into prime with next day delivery is what sucked me down the amazon rabbit hole. Buyings things there for the sheer convenience and of the course the pricing but at times stuff I didn't need though just because it was a good buy.
    Since pretty much everything has been getting more expensive now I've been exploring cheaper brands and even cancelling my subscribe n saves.

Looks like my prime subscription is next. (edited)
    Amazon isn't even that cheap anymore, I've been finding that often stores like Currys, Wickes etc have lower prices. It doesn't come to my front door admittedly, but then I don't have to pay for prime or wait 3 days either.
    If you have an Amazon locker nearby, placing an order and getting it delivered there allows you to circumnavigate the minimum £20 order spending threshold to avoid paying for delivery. (Needs to be fulfilled/sold by Amazon for the 'trick' to work, otherwise the vendor can impose a charge).

Works as a hack for non-bulky items, as size of the lockers is the limiting factor, or non-hazardous items.
    Location should also have an Amazon collection point for larger items, but it's down to the retailer if they want to handle temporarily storing goods for the evil empire.

Often delivered as a priority in Amazon's quest for efficient delivery by grouping orders for them to avoid multiple trips. (edited)
    This was probably the plan all along anyway.

Of course with Prime their whole idea is to lock you into their eco system, a bit like super market delivery saving options.

I wish they offered one without the video, music and other services we hardly ever use.

They should probably stop leaving every package at people's doorsteps too in plain view and running off before anyone can answer. I cannot begin to imagine how many millions of losses there are each year that customers pay the bill for. (edited)
    We have a note on our prime which says to not leave parcels anywhere outside. Every time they do, we get a refund or partial refund (they leave EVERY package outside!) Worth adding such a note as we have.
    They've killed off the highstreet, now it time to milk the sheeple...
    High Street killed themselves with prices. Easy as that, harsh but that is reality.

Who normal will pay for example £100 when you can buy it online for £80 or even cheaper?.
    Might be a good thing giving me an excuse to cancel
    Exactly my thoughts
    This is one subscription I have knocked on the head this year, not missed it at all. It saves me from making impulse buys and if I do want something I can usually find it cheaper elsewhere, I just have to wait an extra day or two for it to be delivered.
    I find the same. Usually I'd buy stuff instantly when I saw "deals", now I have to spend at least £20 which usually gives me time to think about the purchase. In the end I often feel I actually didn't particularly need the product anyway and it was just an impulse buy.
    Give cancelling a try, I've cancelled since expiry, been about 8 months, anything you want just keep in basket and wait for £20 worth, they of course love to increase the price so I just look elsewhere and some things they have just price matched so i just buy from said other shop, obviously may not be of option if you don't drive.

They also gave 30days free at some point, and prime week they gave 99p for 7 days
    Does that mean they'll be paying their flex drivers any better? They havent increased the prices they pay drivers for at least 2 years even though fuel prices have almost doubled.
    What are the pay rates?
    £95 a year as well. Not even a small increase. Greedy guts they are.
    No increase in the last 8 years before now.
    47896314-ctExL.jpgEven taking into account Euro vs GBP exchange rate changes, Italy had Prime at 36 euros?! Do Amazon class Italy as a developing country or something? Their average wage seems to be around 43K euros, so higher than the UK. (edited)
    The services you get are not the same in every country. For Instance, see below (France)

Amazon Prime members get:
    • Unlimited free 1 BUSINESS DAY delivery on millions of items

Ie. Not weekends or public holidays (of which there are lots) (edited)
    Mines due for renewal in November apart from a few subscribe and save items I purchase My purchases have become less frequent and read that i dont need a prime membership to take advantage of the subscribe and save so i will be cancelling my prime member ship,
    You can use and get free delivery monthly with subscribe and save without having a Prime membership.
    FYI - you can cancel and get a pro rata refund then resubscribe
    48212592-wqNUE.jpg
    Mine was due to end in Jan. I tried to cancel but there was no option so i rang up. The guy did it and asked why i was cancelling so i told him the price increase. Will be signing up again tomorrow.
    If you care about only Prime Video and Prime Gaming than buy Prime in different country. You still have free delivery if you use delivery to shop etc so no need really for UK prime.

So I bought Prime from Poland cost me 49 PLN for a year. THIS IS less than 9 GBP per whole year.

I can watch prime video but only on PC or Android TV because you can use on this system VPS to connect with Polish server and watch Prime Video. For a gaming you just anywhere really even in UK.

You need only open account new account on Polish amazon.

Simple £8.76 and enjoy streaming and gaming.

And still if you will be in Poland you can buy on amazon and have free delivery.
    Any more info ask me.
    This makes no sense. A £1 more per month yet the annual sub is £16 per year more so you are £4 worse off with this, wtf.

Replying to

It was £7.99 p/m, totalling £95.88 p/a paying monthly. So the one-off annual payment of £79 saved you £16.88.

The new pricing is £8.99 p/m, totalling £107.88 p/a paying monthly. So with the new one-off annual payment of £95 you now only save £12.88, however this is still a saving over paying the new monthly rates. That is what I’m referring to
    Just switched to annual plan for £79 until July 2023. Was on monthly and renewal due 22nd August. If you check your membership you might be able to switch to annual.
    Exactly what we did - will review it next year
    Am I correct in believing that since my annual renewal is on 6 September, that there is no price increase for me until 2023?
    correct
    Gives me a good excuse to cancel next Feb then..
    U can cancel now they make it look like you lose everything immediately but it will still run until your sub ends
    Increased inflation and operating costs? How much profit does Amazon make??!!
    He flew to space, I’m sure his company is doing alright
    Worth changing your membership to an annual one, day before the hike. To lock in the lower price for one more year, before it then reverts to the higher increased price
    Also for those who can make use of Amazon prime household to split the cost too
    Just cancelled my subscription - been thinking about it for a while so this has just pushed me in the right direction

Replying to

No but I paid monthly so am able to keep my benefits to the end of my billing period
    Trust me if you cancel Amazon Prime you will save a lot of money.
    I’d save more by cancelling HotUKDeals
    I will be cancelling. My Amazon orders are getting ever smaller as they're prices simply aren't competitive. I used to buy things from them because they were the cheapest with the convenience of same or next day delivery.
    I have now moved to Cornwall and I am lucky if I get next day, its usually a 2 day service.

I can usually get most things I need/want from Costco, Toolstation, Screwfix, Tesco or Argos who are usually cheaper.

I rarely watch prime, and its nothing I can't "find" anyway if there is something I want to watch. I fail to see how anyone would stay on the "Amazon Train" after receiving an email like this.
    You should not have moved to Cornwall then should you
    It's gone up by £1 a month in how many years? Still good value for money
    How much do they charge for deliveries if you're not a customer? There used to be a certain amount you had to spend to get free delivery, think it was £20 or so. I ain't heard that mentioned for quite a while though.

Only show I watched on Prime was The Boys.
    £20 for free delivery still, but that's standard slow delivery. Prime is next or even same day included in membership cost. (edited)
    Important change to your Prime membership
    47895222-8DE8F.jpg
    Can you cancel mid term (paid annually) and renew again before hike or would i end up loosing the fee already paid?

Replying to

I did exactly this and got a refund for my remaining annual fee.
    I managed to get a student account via TOTUM with fake qualification so paying £3.99, so increasing to £4.49 instead of £8.99. Even so, why pay more? Changed from monthly to annual and renewed for £39 yesterday to avoid the hike
    Would you minnd messaging me about how you get fake qualifcations for TOTUM mate?
    In Spain prime costs less than half what it does here

We're getting mugged just boycott prime - its simple enough
    Here's why
    Minimum wages have been revised in Spain from 01 January 2022. The minimum wages are increased as follows:

• For domestic workers, from €7.04 to €7.82 per hour and €950.00 to €1000.00 per month;
    • For contingent and temporary workers, from €44.99 to €47.36 per day; and
    • For general workers, from €950.00 to €1000.00 per month
    The regulators need to take a look at how aggressively amazon tries to mislead you into signing up to Prime.

I let mine expire a couple of months ago and I can't buy anything from there now without seeing massive "FREE premium delivery with prime" button where you'd expect the 'Next' button to be. The button for 'no thanks, just buy the thing' is always far less prominent.
    The wording on cancelling a prime sub is just as bad.

They give several pages of warnings that specifically make it sound like you will instantly lose access to everything you've already paid for the moment you hit cancel, then only after several pages of "yes, I REALLY want to cancel" do they mention at the end...

"Your service has been cancelled. You will lose services at the end of your subscription period."

Not at that very second as they've been trying to panic people into believing.
    If I take up the "try Prime student" offer they keep pushing to me, what do I need to provide to complete it?

Replying to

i got a response today that policies are now in place not to extend via any student proof beyond 4 years
    I don't see the option to get annual membership at £79. Am i missing something? Please help.48217354-6hyxz.jpg
    It’s because your membership ends on the 23rd, you need to cancel immediately through Amazon chat. Then you should get the lower prices
    How do you get a students account? I'm an online student but not sure if that counts.. I've looked on ebay for codes but no joy.. If anyone could help me I'd be much appreciated.. Tia guys
    Only downside is that you can't share a student account. I share Prime among 3 people, so it's actually cheaper to keep the regular account that way. Unless you want everyone to share an email address - but that has its own issues, and then you'd need a shared credit card for things. Prime family sharing is actually pretty good, and pretty much the only reason I still have it.
    Isn't there usually a deal on cheaper prime membership for black friday ? - My current annual subs doesn't run out till October, so i'm thinking cancel and hang on till BF then sign back up if they have a deal on
    Nothing in last prime day or Black Friday
    Our renewal is 17 Aug so do I cancel and renew on annual at the current price or can student Prime be shared across accounts like normal Prime now that we have a student in the household? Not that the student will pay for the Prime or anything else for that matter (edited)
    Student membership can't be shared
    Do you get any sort of refund if you cancel a yearly sub halfway through?

Replying to

If you've paid for the year upfront it'll keep going until the end, unless you get in touch with CS and ask to close it early and get a refund
    I think I will cancel it as it's not worth to me... (EDIT: it's a joke...)
    47896872-vFhra.jpg (edited)
    How do I see this data for my account?
    One point to bear in mind is that there is a limit to the number of years that amazon will take into account your student status. Its a a maximum of 4 years plus the initial 6 months free trial.

I tried to get my student prime extended which is I when this came to light. I quote

You've used your 4 years Student Membership from : 8 October 2017 to 5 September 2022, which includes six month free trial of student prime membership and 4 years of student prime paid. After the 4 years of student prime membership we cannot extend the student prime as the system won't allow me to do this for you.
    Time for a new email and bank details.
    France only pays EUR 49.99 per year .. for prime .. another rip-off for UK

Replying to

I spend the summer on France, maybe time to stay here!

47898412-aDH4z.jpg
    This company demands invoices from small businesses on their platform, then they call the factory which supplies their sellers to take the niche. If you don't comply they will remove your product and perhaps "selling privileges". They negotiate with the factory to create their own AMZN brand and they have such financial power, they can get low unit costs and promote their product to the top of each category. Soon enough every product category will be dominated by Amazon brands and the other big brands will be sold by Amazon only as they work out better unit costs then they offer third party sellers. Also Amazon cannot charge themselves 15.3% selling fees and free distribution too. Leaving regular people with no source of income.

If you can help it, when you see dispatched and sold by Amazon, click other sellers and choose a small business instead. If it says just "dispatched by amazon" that is okay as the item is still sold by a regular business.

On the price increase due to inflation etc. They have no leg to stand on, their profits were gigantic during the pandemic, and i'm seeing more and more popular brands partnering with Amazon to sell on their platform. This is just a case of another large corporation using the excuse of the current economic climate to charge more. They're using thier profits to fund new projects and using those costs to portray low operating profits.

What's even more insulting is the fake inflation numbers governments like ours are portraying. Inflation is far far higher. (edited)
    I think your banging your head against a wall here, some people want the cheapest of the cheapest and will connive and scam their way to get it, an example is miss priced goods, people are on it like a bunch locusts with no thoughts to the seller who made a genuine mistake, greed is all it is, unfortunately that's the modern way of life, entitlement to rip people off!
's avatar