Posted 23 November 2023

Are ebay selling fees really 12.8% these days?

I was planning on placing a listing (my first ever on ebay) for an iPhone 15 pro max 512gb as a bundle including this year's Apple case and Apple wallet for around £1500 price point + £10 shipping.

I read the terms and it seems to be free for me to list as i haven't previously, but the final seller fees as a private seller are 12.8% (up to a sale of 5k) + 30p per order.

That's quite a slice taken by ebay from the profits (around £193 in my example + 30p), I wouldn't say i'd be making much profit on the sale. Is there anyway to reduce this or is this pretty standard? I do get emails from ebay now again offering £1 or less selling fees not sure if that includes final fees and if i should wait for when that offer comes up again. Any tips would be helpful for me. Thanks in advance.

- Currently have no urgency to sell my item so can wait.
- Unsure why private sellers would list phones if they are barely breaking even.
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    As others said wait for 70%,80% off fees.
    You cant beat ebay, ive put tonnes of items shpok, fb market place etc.. you just get loads of idiots offering you £40-50 for an item you can sell for £100 on ebay
    market place is awful the wild West of the selling world lol
    Only list when you have an active promo, especially at those prices. They tend to come around every 2 weeks or so.

Check your eBay account though. If you've never sold before then you usually get a completely fee-free sale for your first listing. (edited)
    Author
    Thank you. I'll wait for a promo offer.
    What are the case and wallet worth? The rrp for that max is £1399 so IMO, your price is way too close to retailers who offer finance, no fuss returns, and cover under Consumer Rights. Assume brand new, sealed?

Look at sold prices (search - advanced - sold) for similar and price lower. You're have zero reputation as your first sell.

I'd imagine selling a 'hot item' (popular to youngsters) at a high price will make it far more likely that someone will try and scam you.

Collection in person paying cash is preferred.

There's a reason CEX, Music Magpie, etc. are the gotos for mobiles despite the lower price. (edited)
    It's unlikely any normal person would buy your product at the price you are asking. Someone may buy it, but then not pay for it, or want it shipping somewhere else, then you lose your fee reduction if you want to relist it.
    Hi, Sellers list things on Ebay simply because the audience is huge. I have to admit that I too sell on there but will multi platform items. It is a SCAM or more of a complete rip off. They % fee on your postage. The lot. I hope they sink and as the world keeps turning it will. Only a matter of time. I thought they had a Capp tbh. I'm sure their revenue would actually increase If they slashed FVF's ( Final Valuation Fee's )
    I feel for you selling that phone. It's making me hurt just for you. Don't forget things like gumtree and many others. Good luck with your sale.
    Also vinted!!!!
    Try running a huge online technology platform and also offer a guarantee that both buyers & sellers will get what they want, basically an insurance. Plus you get to sell to a global audience including setting up of a logistics network that can help buyers buy goods from sellers abroad. It is easy to attach labels like scam or rip off without really understanding what it takes to do so. There is a reason others have tried & failed to set up something similar.
    Yes the offers do include final fees. FYI I used to be eligible for £1 FVF but after I accepted 80% off FVF I was never eligible for the £1 FVF offer again. So always go for the best offer first
    I would only sell high value item on a cash on collection basis. There are so many horror stories of buyers claiming item was not in the package or claiming that item is not as described and then sending something random back, getting a refund etc etc....
    Which exactly are the case and wallet?

Taking the standard Apple ones, it's £10 cheaper from Apple direct than your proposed price, and many retailers offer discounts. (edited)
    From what I see, most of those who don't sell regularly overestimate what the market is willing to pay.
's avatar