Posted 8 October 2023

Bathroom sink issue

So I purchased a new sink for my parents house. Got it from a local bathroom shop and I saw it instore on display. Now that it’s put on I see a yellowing on the back and it looks like it’s dirty. We’ve used cleaners and it still the same. It looks like it’s like this.
I got a picture of the day I saw it and now when it’s put on. It seems like the yellowing was always there but couldn’t tell because of the lights in the shop. I will go to the store and tell them about this. I don’t think they will do much but i just wanted to know if anyone else experienced something like this.
It’s ceramic basin. Really annoyed as it’s always going to look dirty and it’s only on the back side.

4213288-Rh9pe.jpg

4213288-izAmO.jpg

4213288-HqFji.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

15 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Our display items are sold as seen and we would not issue a refund for this.

It’s a bit unfair to argue a physical defect with the sink when it was on display for you to fully inspect prior to purchase.
    Yup
    I wish I could see the yellowing. The sink looks gorgeous to me
    Yeah, i can't see it either.
    I think that may be dirt build up.. try an abrasive cleaner like cif or astonish paste (beekeepers friend powder is great too) may just need a thorough clean.
    Author
    I’ve tried Cif and bar keepers. We thought it was dust or like packaging etc. really weird. And it’s only the back side
    Very hard to tell from pic s
    A good local retailer would replace or refund out of good will and retain a customer and all the good recommendations you will tell your friends. However, current trading conditions may just prevent them from doing so. If, its ex-display they may just say "sold as seen". Anyway, I wonder if they could get you a replacement from the manufacturer? (might cost you though) (edited)
    you could get the enamel coated if it bothers you so much!
    i use viakal and scourer to clean basins. it is stronger than cif. spray the viakal over the area and leave to soak for an hour before scrubbing with a scourer sponge, then wipe clean with a damp duster cloth will often remove most dirt from basins and bath tubs.
    Do you live in a hard water area? The yellow staining may be caused by that, especially if it is only in areas that are touched by water.
    If you are using an abrasive cleaner then you are on a road to nowhere.

It might appear ok for a few days but that is it.
's avatar