Posted 22 September 2021

Buying a top floor flat

My friend is thinking of buying a top floor one bedroom flat in a victorian house that has been converted into 4 flats. His flat is the top one.

The bottom flat is a basement flat.

I am wondering if there will be issues with buying furniture and white goods for delivery as there is no lift in these properties.

Anyone lives in a 3rd floor flat and can comment on your experience with getting stuff up the stairs?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

35 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Check the turning curves on stairs. I helped a mate move into an upper floor flat in Hampstead several years ago and there was no way we could get the sofa in because of a curved shaped ceiling and an ornate bannister. At first glance there was loads of room, but the two created a narrow point.

Always good to note what is there on a viewing, assuming the place isn't vacant possession, especially if it is unusual - i.e. separate fridge and freezer, bean bags and no sofa, or inflatable double bed! (edited)
    My first apartment was third floor with no lifts, however it was a new build and the stairway was rather wide. The only thing that was a pain in the ass to get up was a corner sofa… luckily it was in two parts and after a bit of struggle it made it. If you really think about it though it’s not much different from living in a house and having to get furniture upstairs and through doorways. It’s the width of the stairs and angle that will determine ease. Straight stairs are much easier than ones with a bend.
    Lived in a second floor flat converted from a Victorian pub - very tight turns on the stairs. Flat pack Ikea furniture is usually fine, under counter white goods shouldn't be a problem as long as you have sufficient muscle to lift e.g. a washing machine (as others have said, individual companies' delivery policies may vary). A tall fridge freezer will be a bit harder. Sofas are probably the hardest as they're bulky and often don't dismantle, but you probably won't be buying an excessively large one. We removed a 2-seat sofa that came with our flat and successfully brought a smallish sofa bed up and moved it out with us afterwards.
    As usual, the Dutch do it better:
    I live in an old style tenement house…2nd floor up and never had an issue or any off my neighbours who live above me on the 3rd floor…I tend to buy from larger retailers as they do bring goods to your door but if ordering from a smaller company always best to check the terms off their delivery as some off them will only do a kerbside delivery…hope this helps(y)
    I used to live on top floor (2nd floor) flat and never had any issues getting large items (furniture or white goods) delivered. Sorry not sure about 3rd floor but i did question some delivery guys whom said if it's higher then they would've only delivered to ground floor and it's my responsibility.
    Author
    Myusernamehasgone23422/09/2021 10:36

[Video]

lol. reminds me of when we moved 2 years ago. we had to move our old sofa from the living room to the drive for the council to collect. it was a big house so we thought no worries.

1 hour later and we were both struggling to get the sofa out of the front door and my husband is a very strong bloke! it got stuck and we could not budge it. it went into the house fne when it was bought new and delivered!

we ended up smahing the sofas into bits with a hammer and saw as that was the easiest way to budge it
    Ordered a washing machine for my son from Argos. He lives on the fourth floor, spoke to the Argos agent on the phone and asked if there were any problems delivering to him on forth floor. Absolutely not, I was told. The guys will take it to the forth floor, no problems.

Come the day, it arrives. He says it need to be on the forth floor, they say okey, and take off the lorry and ask him to sign for it, which he did (BIG mistake). They get back in the lorry and drive off... Did I say it was pouring with rain?
    He's left in the garden on his own with it!
    mutley122/09/2021 10:50

yeah, but in a house, you don't have to move large sofa upstairs or …yeah, but in a house, you don't have to move large sofa upstairs or kitchen appliances.

What? You don't have a third kitchen and cinema on the fourth floor of your house?
    stearn22/09/2021 10:03

Check the turning curves on stairs. I helped a mate move into an upper …Check the turning curves on stairs. I helped a mate move into an upper floor flat in Hampstead several years ago and there was no way we could get the sofa in because of a curved shaped ceiling and an ornate bannister. At first glance there was loads of room, but the two created a narrow point.Always good to note what is there on a viewing, assuming the place isn't vacant possession, especially if it is unusual - i.e. separate fridge and freezer, bean bags and no sofa, or inflatable double bed!

you left me hanging? what did you do with sofa?
    David_Miller2Et22/09/2021 13:35

Lived in a second floor flat converted from a Victorian pub - very tight …Lived in a second floor flat converted from a Victorian pub - very tight turns on the stairs. Flat pack Ikea furniture is usually fine, under counter white goods shouldn't be a problem as long as you have sufficient muscle to lift e.g. a washing machine (as others have said, individual companies' delivery policies may vary). A tall fridge freezer will be a bit harder. Sofas are probably the hardest as they're bulky and often don't dismantle, but you probably won't be buying an excessively large one. We removed a 2-seat sofa that came with our flat and successfully brought a smallish sofa bed up and moved it out with us afterwards.As usual, the Dutch do it better: [Video]

thats what those hooks are that dangle high up from dutch homes. plus their windows are larger and open fully outwards. in UK thats never been the case so even that great dutch mechanism aint working. (edited)
    Author
    Mich8ll822/09/2021 09:56

I live in an old style tenement house…2nd floor up and never had an issue o …I live in an old style tenement house…2nd floor up and never had an issue or any off my neighbours who live above me on the 3rd floor…I tend to buy from larger retailers as they do bring goods to your door but if ordering from a smaller company always best to check the terms off their delivery as some off them will only do a kerbside delivery…hope this helps(y)

i thought that retailers don't deliver to flats that are above the first floor without stairs, but reading on some sites, like currys, they say they will do if their delivery drivers thought it was safe to carry the appliances up to the higher properties without a lift.

there are many conversions like these around so i guess people must be able to get stuff up there. the sofa and wardrobes are probably challenging as well but the wardrobes and other furniture could be flat packed, so just the sofa may be difficult.
    mutley122/09/2021 10:01

i thought that retailers don't deliver to flats that are above the first …i thought that retailers don't deliver to flats that are above the first floor without stairs, but reading on some sites, like currys, they say they will do if their delivery drivers thought it was safe to carry the appliances up to the higher properties without a lift.there are many conversions like these around so i guess people must be able to get stuff up there. the sofa and wardrobes are probably challenging as well but the wardrobes and other furniture could be flat packed, so just the sofa may be difficult.

I’ve never had an issue with argos delivering my goods to me and just ordered a new cooker through AO which will be delivered to my door…I do remember a couple of years ago it was quite tricky getting my suite to my door as I have a spiral staircase but finally managed it as for flatpack furniture…never been an issue with most retailers!
    Author
    stearn22/09/2021 10:03

Check the turning curves on stairs. I helped a mate move into an upper …Check the turning curves on stairs. I helped a mate move into an upper floor flat in Hampstead several years ago and there was no way we could get the sofa in because of a curved shaped ceiling and an ornate bannister. At first glance there was loads of room, but the two created a narrow point.Always good to note what is there on a viewing, assuming the place isn't vacant possession, especially if it is unusual - i.e. separate fridge and freezer, bean bags and no sofa, or inflatable double bed!

i will tell him to look at how stuff will be moved in when he views the flat tomorrow. it is vacant so that doesn't help. it was last sold in 2016 and that had photos of furniture in the flat, which looked to be normal furniture.
    My concern would be who pay for the roof repair instead.
    White goods delivery probably the last thing to worry about...
    Author
    Cisco06060622/09/2021 10:30

My concern would be who pay for the roof repair instead.White goods …My concern would be who pay for the roof repair instead.White goods delivery probably the last thing to worry about...

it is a leasehold flat so the roof repairs will be done by the freeholder and the costs shared between the 4 flats.
    Author
    ChelseaRae22/09/2021 10:39

My first apartment was third floor with no lifts, however it was a new …My first apartment was third floor with no lifts, however it was a new build and the stairway was rather wide. The only thing that was a pain in the ass to get up was a corner sofa… luckily it was in two parts and after a bit of struggle it made it. If you really think about it though it’s not much different from living in a house and having to get furniture upstairs and through doorways. It’s the width of the stairs and angle that will determine ease. Straight stairs are much easier than ones with a bend.

yeah, but in a house, you don't have to move large sofa upstairs or kitchen appliances.
    It would largely depend on how good the stairs are and the layout. Worst case scenario is they will deliver to the kerb, meaning your friend could buy one of those stair climbing sack trucks to bring it up themselves. (edited)
    If the flat is currently occupied ask the current occupants what their own experiences have been.
    Author
    VeganPolice22/09/2021 11:12

If the flat is currently occupied ask the current occupants what their own …If the flat is currently occupied ask the current occupants what their own experiences have been.

the flat is empty. you don't always see the existing owners as they tend to leave the property when there is a viewing.
    Author
    steve122122/09/2021 12:00

Ordered a washing machine for my son from Argos. He lives on the fourth …Ordered a washing machine for my son from Argos. He lives on the fourth floor, spoke to the Argos agent on the phone and asked if there were any problems delivering to him on forth floor. Absolutely not, I was told. The guys will take it to the forth floor, no problems.Come the day, it arrives. He says it need to be on the forth floor, they say okey, and take off the lorry and ask him to sign for it, which he did (BIG mistake). They get back in the lorry and drive off... Did I say it was pouring with rain?He's left in the garden on his own with it!

reminds of when my husband bought a treadmill. i think it was something like 155kg. they just dumped it on the drive and would not bring it into the house as they said it was too heavy. he had to move it by himself. luckily there was a door to the back garden and the treadmill was going into a conservatory in the garden.

they never said anything when he ordered the treadmill about only delivering to kerbside!

Ordered a washing machine for my son from Argos.

Did you find it on ?
    Author
    MadeDixonsCry22/09/2021 12:24

What? You don't have a third kitchen and cinema on the fourth floor of …What? You don't have a third kitchen and cinema on the fourth floor of your house?

would be pretty daft to put the kitchen and cinema on the 4th floor of a house!

we have the gym on the first floor in our house at the moment and it is quite a struggle to get gymn equipment up just one flight of stairs!
    I had a fridge freezer delivered from Hughes on ebay. Delivery drivers told me on phone call half an hour before delivery kerbside delivery only

Hughes had no idea they were doing this. I'm a single household and a couple of steps up to my front door. I can lift some heavy things but no way could I get a fridge freezer into the house on my own.

Hughes were brilliant. Delivery rescheduled and neighbours hubby helped me get it in. Delivery guys not so good, but would still recommend Hughes.

Check that they are definitely not doing just door step delivery in your area as that was my delivery guys excuse / reason. This was Scotland as a whole at the time

Ordered a washing machine for my son from Argos. He lives on the fourth …Ordered a washing machine for my son from Argos. He lives on the fourth floor, spoke to the Argos agent on the phone and asked if there were any problems delivering to him on forth floor. Absolutely not, I was told. The guys will take it to the forth floor, no problems.Come the day, it arrives. He says it need to be on the forth floor, they say okey, and take off the lorry and ask him to sign for it, which he did (BIG mistake). They get back in the lorry and drive off... Did I say it was pouring with rain?He's left in the garden on his own with it!

mutley122/09/2021 12:28

would be pretty daft to put the kitchen and cinema on the 4th floor of a …would be pretty daft to put the kitchen and cinema on the 4th floor of a house!we have the gym on the first floor in our house at the moment and it is quite a struggle to get gymn equipment up just one flight of stairs!

Flat you mean surely,
    hotukdeals.com/dis…276
    Would also add the worst appliance to carry is usually a washing machine however there are some brands now that use a water container as a weight instead of concrete blocks making the machine lighter to lift. Look out for that.
    Author
    cheekyweegit22/09/2021 12:36

I had a fridge freezer delivered from Hughes on ebay. Delivery drivers …I had a fridge freezer delivered from Hughes on ebay. Delivery drivers told me on phone call half an hour before delivery kerbside delivery only Hughes had no idea they were doing this. I'm a single household and a couple of steps up to my front door. I can lift some heavy things but no way could I get a fridge freezer into the house on my own. Hughes were brilliant. Delivery rescheduled and neighbours hubby helped me get it in. Delivery guys not so good, but would still recommend Hughes. Check that they are definitely not doing just door step delivery in your area as that was my delivery guys excuse / reason. This was Scotland as a whole at the time

it is very rare for doorstep delivery unless it was in pandemic, when people were concerned about entering properties. we bought a freezer during the pandemic and the delivery guy left it in the drive as they said covid rules meant they could not carry it into the house. we were never told this when we bought the fridge!

we told them to leave it in the garage, but if there was only one of us in the house and there were no garage, we would have had to ask them to take it back.
    Author
    deleted240282422/09/2021 13:44

Would also add the worst appliance to carry is usually a washing machine …Would also add the worst appliance to carry is usually a washing machine however there are some brands now that use a water container as a weight instead of concrete blocks making the machine lighter to lift. Look out for that.

i think it will be the sofa and fridge freezer as they are bulky. the bed would also be a problem if it is ready assembled.

the washing machine can be troublesome as they are heavy but two big blokes would solve that.
    Is there any white goods & furniture of standard size in the flat already?

If so then I guess you can get stuff up the stairs.
    Author
    Willy_Wonka22/09/2021 18:49

Is there any white goods & furniture of standard size in the flat …Is there any white goods & furniture of standard size in the flat already?If so then I guess you can get stuff up the stairs.

the flat is empty so there is no furniture there. there is a fitted kitchen so I will ask my friend to look at the appliances when he is there to see if they have the tall fridge or just under the counter units.
    mutley122/09/2021 18:53

the flat is empty so there is no furniture there. there is a fitted …the flat is empty so there is no furniture there. there is a fitted kitchen so I will ask my friend to look at the appliances when he is there to see if they have the tall fridge or just under the counter units.

So has your friend not even been to the flat they want to buy?

They might want to take a tape measure (edited)
    Depending on space it might be good to borrow or buy 'Stair Climbing Trolley' definitely with long base like on pic.
    Some companies charge more for taking it upstairs - varies wildly.

Also staff shortages and what it will mean in months to come to take into account.

Some sofas are very light - even 3 seater like mine - all foam pillows are heavier then base probably - also sturdy - got it couple of years.. If not buying v. expensive stuff then there will not be so much materials used to build it, then easy to move.

Appliances trolley.

Beds - in pieces.

Wardrobes - well only in pieces most likely.

Kitchen table - depends how big and how heavy - might need to bring in pieces.

But it is buying the house - one move - to rule them all.

Also heat escape trough roof
    mutley122/09/2021 15:55

it is very rare for doorstep delivery unless it was in pandemic, when …it is very rare for doorstep delivery unless it was in pandemic, when people were concerned about entering properties. we bought a freezer during the pandemic and the delivery guy left it in the drive as they said covid rules meant they could not carry it into the house. we were never told this when we bought the fridge!we told them to leave it in the garage, but if there was only one of us in the house and there were no garage, we would have had to ask them to take it back.

I was the one of me and no garage, so it went back. Company was brilliant though, they had no idea they were doing this.

This was at a time where deliveries had returned to normal and could be delivered into the customers house. The company decided to make up their own rules and not inform the company they were delivering for.

I got my fridge freezer a few days later, but with a slight dent in it. I'm sure they kicked it out of revenge for the first delivery.

Although I have to say kudos to the delivery company customer service. They did phone back when they said they would and rescheduled, it was just the actual delivery folks that left a bit to be desired.
's avatar