Posted 7 days ago

CCTV Newbie .help...

Morning..in this mindbogglingly vast topic,I find myself giving up..
I want..2 cameras,with solar options,as access to power is challenging,at a reasonable price and quality.
Can I have some suggestions,and recommendation's, and warnings of stuff to steer clear of please.
Anything helpful on the subject please comment.
More the merrier.
Thanks in advance.🫡
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The Techage solar-charged 2k-res remote pan+tilt+(digital)zoom has just reduced (again) to £39.99 Prime fulfilled Amazon via on-page discount tickbox.
    This 2k PTZ includes remote solar panel and 64GB storage card plus definitely includes free ongoing rolling event cloud storage via Vicohome app & at least four other compatible apps, although VH offers the most generous featureset.
    Event notifications to your phone or smartwatch include snapshot image of the event trigger - so it's easy to decide if you want to bother reviewing the vid footage or not.
    If you want the cam to differentiate between a car or cat knocking at your door (why?) you will need to pay a sub.
    Compat with Alexa dullness.
    Again: many other brands use the app & there are options for indoor/outdoor/wired-power models.
    This is probably the best value inc solar panel at sub-£40, especially because of the included 64GB card and the ongoing free cloud.
    keepa.com/

Wired-power external 2k PTZ in a very compact formfactor using same Vicohome app & including the free cloud is high-£20s - this will provide 24/7 recording option to your microSD plus auto-tracking nonsense
    keepa.com/

The equivalent CloudEdge wired-power external 2k PTZ 24/7 recording-capable option with autotrack ns and ONVIF/RTSP is mid-£20s, but not early on Monday mornings when it typically temporarily rises to £40+ before reverting to mid-£20s and on-page 5% discount checkbox, again.
    keepa.com/

I have purchased (and used) all three for family and would struggle to choose between them at these pricepoints - depends if I wanted the convenience of solar or greater flexibility/features via wired-power.
    Probably have to spend significantly more to obtain any noticeable benefits / features over the models suggested - regardless of power source.

There is an excellent-price external wired-power sub-£20 option shifted by MyMemory that includes ONVIF compat so you're not committing to a closed eco-system,
    but its only 1080p so significantly less resolution than all the 2k res options prev mentioned.
    Not attempting to compare optics.
    Lots of comments for this 1080p model in recent thread at
    hotukdeals.com/dea…582
    and earlier at
    hotukdeals.com/dea…878
    Author
    Wow..have just had the time to read this Andy..thanks very much for the information and time spent on it.
    Much appreciated.
    I currently has tapo. It suits my needs, but I can't comment if it is good value as there are too many on the market.

uk.store.tapo.com/pro…tem
    My granny has an outdoor camera from ring with a solar panel attached. I thinm the subscription is expensive but without it you can still view it anytime and are still alerted to motion on your phone
    Solar-charged items will typically mean only event-triggered recording,
    and where the cam will have a finite time prior to starting of the recording after triggered so typically missing the trigger event itself;
    whereas "CCTV" usually implies a requirement for 24/7 recording.

Are you OK with event-only recording?

Do the intended installation locations have reasonable 2.4GHZ and or 5GHz wifi performance present,
    or are you looking for a cellular (SIM-card) based solution, with similar observation about network signal strength at installation location?
    Author
    Ease of use is important,have reasonable WiFi,last thing I need is another weekly job
    Current stand-out low-price solar-charged option including remote solar panel is £29.99 fulfilled Amazon,
    but obviously the Amazon pricing is exceptionally volatile, and regardless:
    pricing typically changes over midnight of Sun-Mon.

2k-resolution and excellent set of inclusive features including colour nightvision, spotlight, 2-way talk plus the usual event notifications based on PIR trigger - so no false triggers caused by movement-looking swaying branches or rain, but equally:
    no recording of cold bricks self-throwing themselves at your windows.
    The remote solar panel permits best placement to maximise solar gain.

Uses the respected Cloudedge app so will provide option to use same app with a multitude of other manufacturers' cameras, both indoor and outdoor.
    The marketing phrasing almost implies this cam may qualify for free ongoing rolling event cloud storage similar to other recent-firmware Cloudedge cams that have free ongoing cloud, otherwise event storage is via your microSD card and/or optional cloud sub.
    CloudEdge is possibly the most flexible app option due to multi-vendor compatibility and where wired-power models using that app typically provide ONVIF compatibility for use with universal 3rd-party tools.
    keepa.com/

Alternative CloudEdge-controlled model with benefit of remote pan £39.99 Prime,
    (or typically £55+ via the reseller chancers on the bay)
    mono nv rather than colour.
    Loads of config/review vids online for this Anran S02 model
    keepa.com/

May need to click-through to the Amazon listing pages to see the on-page promos not recognised by Keepa.

Both suggestion connect via 2.4GHz WiFi.
    Author
    Andy,thanks for such detailed reply,like the cloudedge idea,and hadn't thought about motion or constant recording..more research obviously needed.
    Thank you 🙏
    2k-resolution Beenocam complete with remote solar charging panel is £28 from 06 May 2024 - but fulfilled-Amazon so the low price may be volatile / short-lived.
    Uses O-Kam app that sometimes provides free ongoing rolling event cloud storage, but the marketing phrasing implies maybe not for this model.

Semi-hidden behind "See all buying options" when landing on Amazon page from Keepa:
    keepa.com/
's avatar