Posted 5 July 2023

City Plumbing pricing doesn't make sense

Hello wondering if someone could do a sanity check

I am trying to make a purchase from CityPlumbing but their pricing doesnt make sense and wondering if it's a system error or i simply do not understand how they work.

I am purchasing 2 of each items at
£179.52 inc vat (£149.60 ex vat)
£83.62 inc vat (£69.68 ex vat)

Total £526.28

but this is where it gets confusing.

the total at checkout is as follows

Price before offer applied £501.58
Savings -£83.92
Subtotal ex vat £417.66
Delivery £0.00
Promo Codes APPYDAYS15 £83.92
VAT £83.53
Total (Ex.VAT) £417.66
Total (Inc.VAT) £501.19

Maybe it's late and brain wants to sleep but by my calculations, the price should be
£ 447.34 if discount is applied inc vat <<< this is the price I'm expecting to pay
Or
£ 447.33 if discount is applied to ex vat with vat applied on top

Is this a problem with their site or me failing to understand it all?

P.S CityPlumbings app is terrible!
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    Mystery Solved. one of the items I'm purchasing already has been reduced so discount doesn't apply.
    I take it APPYDAYS15 is 15% off?

£526.28 exclusive of VAT even minus 15% discount is not £450 (or thereabouts)

Should be £536.

There is another discount in there somewhere

Post the product numbers (edited)
    Author
    Yes thats the code i'm using

50512621-YC4qw.jpg (edited)
    Have you brought Drayton controls?
    Author
    na

Shower and towel radiator.
    The price before offered applied is wrong. Just adding them up it's either £526 inc VAT or £438.56 ex VAT. Find out why that isn't working first, then hopefully the discount will work out right.

Just as a side point, whether you apply VAT first or discount code first, you should still end up at the same point with percentages (barring rounding errors like you have in your calculations). It's only fixed value discounts that change the outcome based on the order. (edited)
    Author
    Mystery unsolved - went to place order today and paid what i originally expected (£447.33)

Think the issue was with the app, although their CS said they don't add additional discount on discounted items but I'm not seeing the double discount as screenshot in my earlier post. (edited)
's avatar