Posted 1 January 2024

Copy Windows 10 to new drive partition

Currently I have 2 Windows installations on separate HDDs and I'm trying to put these both onto separate partitions on a 1T SSD. In Macrium reflect free I thought I would be able to image/clone one of the disks and then restore to one of the partitions on the SSD. But it seems to want to delete the other partition on the SSD during the process. Is there another way round this or some other software that will enable a system copy to a partition rather than the whole drive?
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You need to restore (copy) the logical volume rather than the whole drive.

Once you've copied both to the SSD, you'll need a new bootloader to allow you to select. Afraid this bit definitely won't be part of (free) Macrium.

Research boot menus. If this was an external drive (so temp rather than permanent) I'd recommend Ventoy. (edited)
    Author
    I've got EasyBCD for bootloader which seems to do the job ok. There don't seem to be any other options than image or clone on Macrium free....
    51883472-PQC14.jpg

The file and folder backup needs a sub (edited)
    Macrium does a 30 day trial for the paid versions. That should allow you to copy the partitions over individually.
    Author
    I'll take a look thanks.