Posted 10 October 2020

eBay - buyer claiming I sent wrong item- scam?

Hi all

I sold a new and rare card monopoly game on eBay for £25 (including free p+p). The item was delivered today and now the buyer (got 98 positive) is claiming I sent them a different item, an Avon cleansing bar worth about £12. I have never bought or owned an Avon product.

They are asking me what happened and that I need to send them the game...which I did!

Basically, I believe they are scamming me and I know eBay are useless. What else can I do? I definitely sent them the item.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

61 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I’ve had this several times. I ask the seller to wait 24hrs for me to investigate. I then do nothing. After 24hrs I send them a message saying that I have spoke to the police and also my family solicitor and they are asking that the buyer signs a legal affidavit stating the facts that they didn’t receive said item i postage. I also say that the legal team have been given their address as has the police and they said the local force (to the buyer) might follow up with a visit for a statement as they’ve had a few incidents in the area.

It’s astounding how many people then find the item in a bush/hedge/friend opened it and played a joke blah blah blah and close the case down and leave positive feedback.

You have to fight back, it’s the only way. If they agree immediately, they are probably telling the truth and I would then refund and investigate myself. (edited)
    I had a similar thing happen with a buyer. I complained repeatedly to ebay who went with the buyer who lodged a not as described claim and was refunded in full. Ebay eventually refunded me too as I reported the buyer for fraudulent use of the return policy. My advice would be to start a web chat with ebay so that you have a record of your discussion and report the buyer for fraudulent use of the return policy if the buyer submits a refund request. This is so dishonest and ebay should be protecting sellers. I also suspected the buyer had done this multiple times. Good luck and don't give up.
    Probably not much you can do. At least it wasn't a large amount.

I normally make a video of myself packing the product and affixing the label. If possible, you could even film yourself posting it. That way you've got absolute proof that you've been honest.

I'm not normally one for petty revenge but perhaps you could buy something from their account (if they're selling something) and say you didn't receive it. Two can play at that game.

Good luck.
    deleted65532111/10/2020 00:48

Comment deleted

You have taken this way too seriously. I just play the game and shake the tree, the scammers drop, the real genuine customers don’t and get refunded by me.

17years on eBay and never been scammed. Never received negative feedback, never had a case opened that has run its full course, and I refund on request probably three times a year if someone changes their mind and sends it back.

Got a 100% hit rate on those scammers though
    Get the buyer to send you a photo of the packaging?

Does it match the one you sent?
    deleted65532110/10/2020 22:50

Comment deleted

Well done for missing the point of my approach.

The whole aim is to make the buyer think you have done those things so they rethink continuing the scam.

I don’t have a family solicitor and wouldn’t waste the police’s time with something like this. If the buyer responds saying they are fine with all that and to send the document across, I’ll refund them and take it up with whoever the courier is.

Hasn’t happened yet though....
    deleted12678311/10/2020 07:37

Just wasting your time

I can just imagine it...

(Husband) "Hey love, make sure you keep that camera on me and the package at all times"

(Wife) "I am, but don't you think you're going to far with all this?"

(Husband) "No chance, these scammers ain't scamming me. Now quick zoom in on the postage label"

(Wife) "My battery is dying though"

(Husband) "Well you better carefully charge it quickly, as you've got to record me walking to the Post Office as well"

(Wife) "I want a divorce"
    OneWorld10/10/2020 22:01

Probably not much you can do. At least it wasn't a large amount. I …Probably not much you can do. At least it wasn't a large amount. I normally make a video of myself packing the product and affixing the label. If possible, you could even film yourself posting it. That way you've got absolute proof that you've been honest. I'm not normally one for petty revenge but perhaps you could buy something from their account (if they're selling something) and say you didn't receive it. Two can play at that game. Good luck.

Complete waste of your time videoing packaging and posting items. ebay won't accept it, and rightly so. Easy to video yourself packaging the correct item and posting something else. Think about it.
    Author
    Thanks to everyone responding btw
    deleted65532110/10/2020 23:19

Comment deleted

I’ll say it again in a different way.

In my examples/experiences there is no dispute yet, the buyer is trying it on/or not.

My approach makes any criminal buyer trying it on fear a knock at the door from the police and being blamed for ‘the others in the area’ and getting involved in legal proceedings or shining a light on their activities, so they give up trying it on with me and move on to someone else.

The honest buyer, who is genuinely out of pocket/missing an item will respond positively and I will deduce they have nothing to hide and will refund them before it gets to a dispute.

Most criminals aren’t that bright and after raising a message to me or even on two occasions an actual dispute, they close it down manually as resolved before any action is taken by eBay as they are stupid and I’ve played on their fears ....... that of being caught.
    Author
    Yes, just about to say there is no weigh on hermes. I’ve been reading online and it said to contact action fraud which I’ll tell the buyer I am going to do too.

I mean, I just don’t know why people stoop so low to get a free item. I don’t really want an Avon cleansing bar back with my sensitive skin (edited)
    Author
    deleted234448010/10/2020 21:57

I’ve had this several times. I ask the seller to wait 24hrs for me to i …I’ve had this several times. I ask the seller to wait 24hrs for me to investigate. I then do nothing. After 24hrs I send them a message saying that I have spoke to the police and also my family solicitor and they are asking that the buyer signs a legal affidavit stating the facts that they didn’t receive said item i postage. I also say that the legal team have been given their address as has the police and they said the local force (to the buyer) might follow up with a visit for a statement as they’ve had a few incidents in the area. It’s astounding how many people then find the item in a bush/hedge/friend opened it and played a joke blah blah blah and close the case down and leave positive feedback. You have to fight back, it’s the only way. If they agree immediately, they are probably telling the truth and I would then refund and investigate myself.

Thanks, this is pure gold!

I have asked them nicely - "Please can I ask if the packaging was all sealed on delivery? Had it been opened on delivery? Could there have been a mix up with any other items you received today?"

Then, if it is a no to all and they state everything was fine with the package - then I was going to say I have contacted action fraud (which I will do). Might try your way though!
    This is why I no longer sell on eBay.

I’ve had this several times. I ask the seller to wait 24hrs for me to i …I’ve had this several times. I ask the seller to wait 24hrs for me to investigate. I then do nothing. After 24hrs I send them a message saying that I have spoke to the police and also my family solicitor and they are asking that the buyer signs a legal affidavit stating the facts that they didn’t receive said item i postage. I also say that the legal team have been given their address as has the police and they said the local force (to the buyer) might follow up with a visit for a statement as they’ve had a few incidents in the area. It’s astounding how many people then find the item in a bush/hedge/friend opened it and played a joke blah blah blah and close the case down and leave positive feedback. You have to fight back, it’s the only way. If they agree immediately, they are probably telling the truth and I would then refund and investigate myself.

^^this
    deleted12678311/10/2020 07:37

Just wasting your time

nope worked twice..... i sent them the footage they backed off... and said i will go to the police and forward the video to them... you got to put in effort mate (edited)
    Would the sending weight difference registered be a factor? I mean I don't know how heavy a cleansing bar is. Or what it even is.

ah soap? That would be pretty heavy surely? (edited)
    Sadly, this seems to be quite common and eBay frequently sides with the buyer. I've had two deliveries arrive where the buyer claims half the contents are missing. The postal services are reluctant to pay out on the insurance as they've delivered the parcel and, understandably, it's difficult for me to provide proof of what's inside a sealed package before I've sent it.
    I can only wish you the best of luck.
    Hermes don't provide proof of the weight, so it's a perfect opportunity for someone dishonest to take advantage. (edited)
    You may be able to claim on the insurance if you can provide evidence the packaging was tampered with.
    Pomegranate2010/10/2020 21:34

I am going to do too. I mean, I just don’t know why people stoop so low to …I am going to do too. I mean, I just don’t know why people stoop so low to get a free item. I don’t really want an Avon cleansing bar back with my sensitive skin

Sadly unless they get lots of reports about the same person nothing will happen.

They are not interested in helping 'the little guys' out.
    Can they prove they actually received your package? As in you enclosed a packing slip and they received that. I'm just thinking if labels have been mixed/swapped.
    Author
    deleted65532110/10/2020 21:40

Comment deleted

I'll give it a go with Hermes but from what I am reading they aren't forthcoming. Thanks

I'm going to be sure to remember this for the future. Good tip
    Author
    OneWorld10/10/2020 22:01

Probably not much you can do. At least it wasn't a large amount. I …Probably not much you can do. At least it wasn't a large amount. I normally make a video of myself packing the product and affixing the label. If possible, you could even film yourself posting it. That way you've got absolute proof that you've been honest. I'm not normally one for petty revenge but perhaps you could buy something from their account (if they're selling something) and say you didn't receive it. Two can play at that game. Good luck.

Gollllldddddd - I don't think I could ever do this in reality but the thought crossed my mind - hahhaa.
    What I mean is, to just cover yourself that the package was delivered by Hermes (which you have) and that there were no mix ups etc which I think is unlikely. If we don't challenge these kind of buyers ebay won't ever do anything to protect sellers.
    Yes, I think you're right about the feedback. Ebay should monitor these kind of issues to weed out the serial offenders (especially as they can track the messages through the ebay messaging)! ie keep an audit on how many times a buyer has used the return policy or as I suspect most buyers expect the seller to give in and refund without any fuss.
    jay.spearing11/10/2020 06:27

i keep the recording on so i packaged and go straight to the post office

This is ridiculous I hope you only sell once in a blue moon...
    I wonder if avon would tell you they sold a cleansing bar to the buyers address.
    Pomegranate2011/10/2020 15:47

Good idea, not sure I sell enough to do this. I guess I was relying on the …Good idea, not sure I sell enough to do this. I guess I was relying on the fact that people are honest. Going to follow up with Hermes in the AM too.

i sell quite a lot so just stick a go pro on and its never failed me
    Do Hermes show a photo of the item being delivered like DPD?
    Pomegranate2012/10/2020 10:22

Yes, I have the photo of delivery and the item has the exact tape around …Yes, I have the photo of delivery and the item has the exact tape around it that I sent it with.

I had a similar experience with myHermes over a missing parcel. The tracking showed it as delivered.
    I contacted Hermes and asked them to investigate and they provided me with photo evidence of the package and where it was left. Well the photo looked like an out of focus Dick pick. I went back to them and said it proved nothing, they said they’d contact deliverer and area manager to investigate. A few days later they said the deliverer no longer worked for Hermes and they’d honour any insurance claim and refund.
    Just an idea, but you’d know if the deliverer was on their radar perhaps? (edited)
    does your proof of postage show the item weight? Could compare that to the weight of the avon soap
    Author
    Toptrumpet12/10/2020 15:03

I had a similar experience with myHermes over a missing parcel. The …I had a similar experience with myHermes over a missing parcel. The tracking showed it as delivered.I contacted Hermes and asked them to investigate and they provided me with photo evidence of the package and where it was left. Well the photo looked like an out of focus Dick pick. I went back to them and said it proved nothing, they said they’d contact deliverer and area manager to investigate. A few days later they said the deliverer no longer worked for Hermes and they’d honour any insurance claim and refund.Just an idea, but you’d know if the deliverer was on their radar perhaps?

This is what they sent and it is the package
    42184707-x4RSG.jpg
    Author
    42184742-n9Uoo.jpg
    Did you send it tracked?
    Complain to Hermes and let buyer know that you have contacted the courier.
    Listen to ArcadeAssassin as well.
    Author
    deleted8937812/10/2020 15:16

Did you send it tracked?Complain to Hermes and let buyer know that you …Did you send it tracked?Complain to Hermes and let buyer know that you have contacted the courier.Listen to ArcadeAssassin as well.

Hermes track it. I have complained but you have to go through packlink, who are saying I can’t claim as it was sent in a Jiffy bag. They are saying everything should be sent in a box
    Author
    deleted8937812/10/2020 15:32

Eh? Thta is so wrong.

Yep, even though the packaging may have been tampered with- you can’t claim as it was in an “envelope”. It doesn’t state anything like this when you are purchasing online. Jokers

Guess I’ll sack off packlink and use RM from now on.

42185056-JK9To.jpg
    Author
    Thanks, it was hermes.

Won’t Hermes, say I sent the wrong item (even though I didn’t) of Should I ask the buyer if the packaging had been tampered with?

It’s all very dodgy! (edited)
    ah ok, never mind. Just a thought.
    Author
    britlad10/10/2020 21:32

You may be able to claim on the insurance if you can provide evidence the …You may be able to claim on the insurance if you can provide evidence the packaging was tampered with.

This is what I want to ask the buyer but I have a feeling they have done this before
's avatar