Posted 11 December 2023

EV Charger & installation

Hi All
Planning to buy an EV. I’ve had a look around ev chargers and installations. There are a lot on the market and various websites give their own top 10.

Anyone got any recommendations for company and charger. 7kw tethered please.

thanks in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

19 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Be careful using a charging cable in public carparks across bays. You may be liable if anyone falls over
    Happy with the easee charger
    Podpoint
    I had 2 Ohme Wall Chargers, now superceded by the Pro model, installed (one for one of my employees) in May 2020 by Smarthomecharge.

Currently Intelligent Octopus is 7.5p from 23:30 to 05:30 and 30.52p at other times.

The good thing with intelligent octopus is the 7.5p is for all the house use not just charging your car, so if you can schedule washing machines and dishwashers etc for the cheap period you only pay 7.5p.

Also you sometimes get smart charging outside these times so it is possible to get 12 hours @ 7.5p if the car needs charging a lot.

It is also possible to charge more than one car if the Ohme charger is linked to Intelligent Octopus instead of the car. (edited)
    podpoint, zappi, ohme are usually the most common and compatibile with flexible charging from octopus and the like
    Posting so I can follow.
    My friend has an MG ZS EV, he got a podpoint charger.
    The price they quoted was the price he paid.
    Plus has a 7.5m cable good if you plan to get a second car as should reach if side by side.
    Works with Octopus energy, Midnight to 4am.
    All done on his phone.
    Make sure you get a 10m cable for charging at say Tesco etc.
    As ice cars block EV bays.
    So will reach over a bay or so.
    Author
    Good shout about 10 m cable. With the tethered my understanding is that the cable is attached to the charger. I can purchase another separate one. 
    I’ve just had the Ohme home pro installed. Bought it online from a wholesaler and got a local electrician to fit it. I needed my consumer unit upgraded as I had the old wire fuse board. But the charger & fitting came to around £650 which was a lot cheaper than home direct or even octopus.

Charger works great. And no more range anxiety
    Which wholesaler did you get it from?
    Hypervolt but with installation you're looking at around £1000.
    Sorry to barge in here - but I am in a similarish boat - i.e. looking for an EV charger and tariff options - if you decided on something, can you please share? If others have any inputs they are greatly appreciated too
    Author
    Getting installed directly from Ohme. Charger separately was around £550 and installation with local installers was coming out more expensive. 
    Author
    Hi I’ve asked about Mercedes ev and ohme chargers as a separate discussion topic. If anyone can help would be much appreciated. Thanks 
's avatar