Posted 1 day ago

Fixing stair gate to plasterboard wall

Hi all, need to fit two stairgates at the top and bottom of the stairs but one wall is a plasterboard wall.

Which fixings would you recommend to use to ensure it doesn't get loose over time with movement?

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

15 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The secret is to fit a sheet of plywood to the wall first and then attach to that. The larger the piece of plywood the stronger the fitting.
    Or a batten if the width allows.
    I would just check if the wall is dot and dab onto blockwork. If so there'll be plasterboard then a gap of like 10mm before the blockwork. Drill through into the blockwork for the win
    As says above first check if its a proper stud wall (i.e. timber frame covered in plasterboard) or plasterboard dot and dabbed onto a solid wall underneath.

If youve got a light switch or power socket on the same wall you may be able to just loosen the faceplate to see what sort of backing box is present.....if you feel comfortable doing that.
    I thought stairgates were pressure fitted against a wall, not screwed in.
    At least that’s what I remember when I my children were small.
    Author
    Problem with the pressure fit ones is that they have a bar at the bottom of them which is a trip hazard and also they don't recommend a pressure fit one at the top of the stairs
    Best to attach to the stud with woodscrews as mentioned above if you're lucky they could be one close.
    You could also attach a length of wood as suggested above from the skirting to just above gate and attach the wood with 6 screws along its lenth or more if you really want but this would look a bit of a mess.
    Alternatively we use these anchors at work to attach heavy vending machines, ill try find them.
    Here these hold pretty heavy vending machines no problem so im sure it'll be ok for your gate if you can alter the gate fittings somehow to make it work
    51980182_1.jpg (edited)
    if anyone is adamant they want to attach relatively heavy things to a plasterboard wall I 100% agree these fixings are the way to go
    With my kids I used the pressure fit ones. No holes/drilling required.

If that's an option for you then that's the best one I reckon.
    Author
    Problem with the pressure fit ones is that they have a bar at the bottom of them which is a trip hazard and also they don't recommend a pressure fit one at the top of the stairs
    There will probably be a stud there at some point ......ask on a local forum to borrow a stud finder and mark up
    I used simple brown rawl plugs, solid as a rock only just taken it down after 10yrs and 2kids.

This was a a plasterboard wall with aluminium studding. I didn’t go into the studding.

The way any screw would be loaded I think it’s fine. (edited)
    I have pressure fit they r fine but only at the top of stairs
's avatar