Posted 15 October 2023

Getting an attic converted into a room...

Just wondering...

I really want to get it done but Im happy to keep the ladders going up to it and not add proper stairs. And even for windows maybe just put a window on the side of the house instead of going into the actual roof....

Is it best to get it done all at once?

I was thinking maybe just get someone to put the insulation in and proper floorboards to walk on and then later on when I have more money think about how I would divide the space up.

Is that a bad idea? Should you get it all done at once for electrical and any heating needed?

Just don't really know about costs and guessing I could only get it floored out at the moment

Cheers
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You would need the floor supported as the joists probably won’t hold wait etc
    I would defo think about the electrics and heating. Also with just the ladder if you ever come to sell you wouldn’t be able to class it as an extra room.

Our last house had the attic done but there was no heating in there. I used electric rads but it was basically boiling in the summer and perishing in the winter.
    Not sure it counts as a 'room' without stairs and windows, otherwise it's just a boarded out loft? Did mine myself, cross joists to distribute weight better then kingspan between, small air gap then boarded over with T&G boards. Not really high enough to use, but means I feel safer putting stuff up there!
    It sound like you might need to do some research, i dont think you realise how much work a proper conversation is, my uncle had his loft converted with a stair case fitted and i remember him having to have safety inspections and they made him change things multiple times, cost him a lot of money doing it properly but with a friend giving him a discount it cost over 20k (edited)
    Author
    Pfft, I doubt it would be worth it for the space it would create... Hmm
    to be added as room sure it would need proper stairs, door & window to "escape" from any disaster, either way its going to be big bucks!
    Author
    Hmmm. Just wanted to put my computer up there to work from home. To put proper stairs in I would have to get rid of a bedroom which would make it pretty pointless.
    Building regs will no doubt restrict your options. You should also get a structural engineer to assess the load bearing. When I went house viewing I noticed a lot of houses had "unofficial" loft conversions. They had open tread stairs to the loft, but as it didn't meet building regs it wasn't listed as an extra room. Something to consider - also I believe it would effect your council tax or rates...
    if you want to convert an attic into a livable room, you will need to get planning permission and building regs. it will be an expensive project and it would need proper stairs as i don't think building regs will allow ladder access to a converted liveable room, so you would need the space for a stairs to be installed.
    Wouldn't worry about the building regs. There are so many places we looked at, including the one we own, which has a perfectly converted loft into a room. Staircase is fine apart from having to duck a bit if your tall, we use a plug-in radiator for the winter to heat it. We just invested in a new velux as the previous one had a wooden frame, so now it's a decent pvc one. As others have mentioned, it can't be listed as a bedroom when selling, but it doesn't really matter as people can see it's a bedroom when they view it. I would say to make sure the window is big enough to climb out in case there's ever a fire.
    Author
    Good point, the way out house is there's like a first floor extension at the side, so I was thinking about putting the window on the side and then Incase of emergency you could fall out there. Would still be a bit of a drop but not too bad.

If I could get it done cheap enough I wouldn't really be bothered about being able to listen it as a room. We just desperately need somewhere to put some office space for when the kids are a bit older and need the 2nd bedroom for themselves. So it would probably just be adults going up there to work during the day time when we need some space.
    If you're looking at adding a window, you might need planning permission, especially if it overlooks a neighbour. It you just want to board your loft out and stick a desk in there, it isn't a difficult job, I've done it myself, but it will be too hot to work in during summer and too cold in winter
    Have you got a good size garden? You could create a mini office in a log cabin and get electric etc in there and would cost less than loft conversion.
's avatar