Posted 3 May 2015

GIMP Question - how do I get the pointer back so I can move an object?

Been while since I used Gimp and I know this was a problem last time I used it and I can't remember how I got roudn it.

I have tried to Google the question and it is a commonly asked one but nobody seems to give an answer.

I just want to move an object on screen, for example some text from the bottom of the image to the top but I can't because I can't find a pointer tool as in Photoshop. Can anyone please help as it is doing my head in.
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    bit of googling says that there is no pointer. You only get a specific pointer when you have a tool open, photoshop for example.

hth
    (edited)
    Author
    spiderbifida

bit of googling says that there is no pointer. You only get a specific … bit of googling says that there is no pointer. You only get a specific pointer when you have a tool open, photoshop for example.hth

Yes but does anyone know how to move an object once you have placed it? In most image software you get a pointer tool so you can click on the object and move to wherever you want it on screen. But on Gimp there is no such pointer and I can't remember how to move an object to another section of the screen.

Anyone any ideas?
    Author
    spiderbifida

Does this help youhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2d6mklSnYk

Ha, yes perfect, there is a move tool in the toolbox. For some reason my toolbox was not open and I was using the restricted drop down menu.

Thanks for your help.
    that vid is in such low quality
's avatar