Posted 4 September 2023

Help with Upgrading the RAM/SSD in an old HP Probook 4530s?

My elderly relative has the HP ProBook 4530s. It’s become very slow. I’d like to upgrade the hard drive and RAM.

I read online and found that this machine has a SATA 2 interface

So I am thinking of buying the following.

Samsung 870 EVO SSD amazon.co.uk/dp/…6P4

Integral RAM 8GB kit (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz amazon.co.uk/dp/…8VT

• Will getting these items work?
  • I've found videos online and it looks like it's just a case of unscrewing the case and swapping the parts. Is it really that simple?
  • After installing the new SSD, it is just a case of using a bootable USB drive with Windows 10 installation media to reinstall Windows 10?

The reason I am upgrading the SSD/RAM instead of buying a newer system is because my elderly relative uses ancient software that requires 32 Bit windows. All the new systems are 64-bit. Plus, my relative likes what she likes and doesn't want a new system.

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Bear in mind that if you are planning on installing 32bit Windows 10 then you will be limited to a maximum of 4gb of RAM

compuram.de/blo…ms/ (edited)
    Turn your PC on & scan it at crucial. uk.crucial.com/upg…des

It will tell you what your options are for ram & ssd. Obviously you don't have to buy their products.

After installing a new ssd you have to enter Bios & change the boot drive to the usb that has windows 10 installation on it & follow the process through.

Oh & the RAM you have selected is for a desktop computer, not a laptop (edited)
    Author
    Thanks that's super helpful! The crucial products have good reviews, so I am probably better sticking with them, so I don’t buy the wrong thing (as I had no idea desktop and laptops had different RAMs!)
    This should help and answer your questions.

You can also use cloning software to make an exact copy of the existing OS from the current HDD to place on the new SSD, to reduce the learning curve a bit more.
    My dad has the same laptop from a deal on here, we just replaced it. But yes we upgraded to 8GB ram and a Sata SSD, made a pretty big difference. You can get 1TB for the price you've found that 500GB though, or 500GB for about £25, it won't benefit from the speed difference.

No screws to undo to open the case, the battery clips just slide further to unlock the case and the back slides off. The only screws might be for the HDD.

Windows 10 & 11 64bit both work fine. 32bit can't use that much ram so no point upgrading it if that's the case. Most software should be cross compatible. (edited)
's avatar