Posted 3 days ago

Hybrid Bikes.

Anyone know of any websites that can help a novice out looking for a hybrid bank. Don't need anything extravagant as it's not for journeys of more than a couple of miles, so more bothered about puncture resistant tyres than anything else. Still obviously want the best I can get for my money with a budget of about £2-300 in case I actually start to enjoy using the thing though! Seems a lot trickier to choose something like this online than it does a tablet or TV etc.
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You'd be best going to a local bike shop, so you can have a look at them and try sitting on different sizes to make sure they fit you. The best shops will let you take them out for a test ride.

The shop will set up and adjust it for you as well, so it'll be ready to ride straight from the shop, plus they often provide a free service after a few weeks.
    Author
    Yeah, good point, cheers. Even if it costs a bit more, it's probably worth it from a hassle point of view. Thanks very much
    Look out on FB, and eBay for a second hand one. Just take your time and eventually you'll find one local enough to you. Don't be afraid to ask about age and condition. A person selling a decent one won't mind taking lots of photos.
    I'd happily buy Boardman, Trek, Specialized to name but a few, but get to know how their model range works so you have an idea if it's a top, middle, or bottom of the range.
    Author
    Thank, appreciate the advice with the names. Good to have a few to look at. I did think about Facebook marketplace but see so many robbed these days itd be at the back of my mind where it had cine from. Although obv if its someone I know or a friend of a friend, you'd hope it's safe 😁
    Hybrid tends to be a catch all category in a lot of shops so there is a fair variety of styles that get placed under that - basically everything that isn't a speed machine or off-roader.

Are you after a particular style/riding position/utility?
    Author
    Literally just something from A to B to get to shops and parents, etc, a couple of miles away. I know there's some cheaper but thought if go up to £300 or so it's a bit more reliable if go a bit further (not too much more!) Main thing is puncture resistant tyres if possible and one where not arched forward due to middle aged back problems
    Just pick up something cheap on marketplace, that way you can make sure you're comfortable with the sizing.

Have a quick look on YouTube for how you spot some of the things to look out for when buying a used bike (mainly play in the front/rear hubs and bottom bracket).

Check both wheels are true and the braking surfaces aren't excessively worn and you're pretty much good to go.

I wouldn't worry about which make you buy, as long as the components are half decent (try and keep to shimano shifters/derailleurs, cheap and easy to find replacements)

As for tyres. Buy a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus (make sure you get the plus). They're not cheap and they're a pig to fit BUT they're the most bulletproof tyre you'll find and will last you years.
's avatar