Ideas to keep kids entertained if you are self isolating / home from school

Deal editor65
Posted 13th Mar
Update 1
Updated with some more ideas
Schools in the Republic of Ireland (and now most of the UK) have closed in an attempt to halt the spread of the coronavirus.

As much as we want to keep our children safe, the thoughts of self isolating with young kids for the foreseeable future can be a bit daunting! I thought I'd put together a few ideas on how to keep kids entertained if they are home from school to help avoid those dreaded words ...... I’m BORED!

I would love to hear your ideas and suggestions so we can all help each other out –please share them!

Get creative - with some Arts & Crafts

skyVIP - access this through the mysky app (thanks @davejb )

Get baking – keeps the kids busy AND you get to eat the tasty treats afterwards. Why not pick out a recipe, pretend you are hosting your own cooking show and video it.

3421376.jpg

Learn to Code for Free - lot's of fun, and a good way for your kids to use their brains. Some free options below:

Invest in Disney+ - Endless entertainment - Over 1000 movies, series, Originals and more from the 5 wonderful worlds of Disney+. Download any series or movie!

3421376.jpg
Get Outside - if everyone is well then why not get kids out in the back garden to play.

• Follow government advice’ as it’ll likely change daily / every few days

Gardening - Get the kids involved with helping you get the garden ready for Spring

Plant some seedlings - whether it's for flowers, or herbs, kids will love to see them grow. Egg cartons are great for starting off new seeds

3421376.jpg

Have a Netflix Party - a bit random I know, but the kids might like it .... Netflix Party is a new way to watch Netflix with your friends online. Netflix Party synchronizes video playback and adds group chat to your favorite Netflix shows.

Movie Night (or day!) - Of course you'll need snacks!

3421376.jpg

Scouts over 100 Free indoor educational activities
- While we normally love the great outdoors, we’ve pulled together some inspired indoor activity ideas (if we do say so ourselves). Keep your kids learning new skills and having fun

Online Educational Games & Resources- educational and fun at the same time.

3421376.jpg

Free Books, Magazines & Puzzles - lots of freebies available

Make a Family Scrapbook - Choose your fave family pictures, sort them into groups and start to make a scrapbook. Get creative and personalise it - a nice way to preserve and create family memories

Whack out the board games - Let the games begin! A great way to have some family time.

See how many activities your kids can complete!

3421376.jpg

Grab a Gaming subscription - this is definitely going to be a winner with older kids!

Free Gaming for those with consoles - one to keep the kids AND adults sane Make sure to filter our the games that are suitable for your children!

3421376.jpg

Read a Book - Reading is great for everyone! If you have younger kids they will LOVE to be read to, and join in when they can.

Spotify Kids app - Spotify Kids is a standalone smartphone app. It's like the regular Spotify app, but with a smaller library and parental controls

3421376.jpg

Youtube Kids - this is awesome and you can tailor it to your child. Lots of options for parental controls too like to limiting screen time, blocking videos etc

Free Podcasts for Kids - great selection available!

3421376.jpg

Read a Comic - Get the latest news from 2000 AD delivered straight to your inbox – every week!

Have an Indoor Scavenger Hunt - who doesn't love a treasure hunt?! Type up a list of things that need to be found, give everyone a list, and a time limit. Don't forget a small prize for the winner!

Listen to an audio book - Winnie The Pooh / Beatrix Potter etc... No membership needed

3421376.jpg
Learn Sign Language - Free British Sign Language online course for under 18s

Yoga on YouTube - Sophia Khan leads a fun and family-friendly introduction to yoga. You’ll get to warm up, practice breathing and poses, and relax into a power down.

3421376.jpg

Reading with David Walliams

Free 30 days audio story from David Walliams Every day at 11am ( Thanks @Squeezepenny )

Children's FREE Virtual Live PE Classes with Joe Wicks

3421376.jpg

Learn to Sew on a Button - i've just realised I have been doing it wrong all along!

Make a Sock Puppet - make good use of those new sewing skills ^ and create your own sock puppet with button eyes. Time to make use of all those odd socks lying around!

Puppet Show - Create your own Theatre using a cardboard box

3421376.jpg

Community Updates
Megathread

Groups

Top comments
Rock painting is fun if you like crafts google is full of ideas

2914733481584106075.jpg

40098124-DDbSG.jpg
Twinkl offer learning resources for teachers and parents/carers. They provide some free downloads to those who create an account. They have created some school closure resource packs free of charge.
EYFS Resource Pack can be found HERE.
KS1 HERE.
KS2 HERE.
Years 1-6 HERE.
Curriculum For Excellence HERE.
I’ve seen an email which has been shared to a Scottish school group that they are kindly offering their one month ultimate membership to all teachers and parents free of charge if you click this link and use the offer code UKTWINKLHELPS

40098076.jpg
Edited by: "MiniMissyMoo" 15th Mar
I'm childfree, but if I had kids, I'd force them to sit down with me and watch all the classic 80's cartoons I grew up on. We would work through Ulysses, Cities Of Gold, The Racoons, Transformers, Mask, Dogtation, Pole Position, Thundercats, Visionaries etc .. oh and He-Man obviously until they are properly educated.

All on Youtube
Board games and jigsaws are always a winner when on a dismal rainy caravan holiday in Wales, I wonder if its transferable?
65 Comments
Board games and jigsaws are always a winner when on a dismal rainy caravan holiday in Wales, I wonder if its transferable?
Twinkl offer learning resources for teachers and parents/carers. They provide some free downloads to those who create an account. They have created some school closure resource packs free of charge.
EYFS Resource Pack can be found HERE.
KS1 HERE.
KS2 HERE.
Years 1-6 HERE.
Curriculum For Excellence HERE.
I’ve seen an email which has been shared to a Scottish school group that they are kindly offering their one month ultimate membership to all teachers and parents free of charge if you click this link and use the offer code UKTWINKLHELPS

40098076.jpg
Edited by: "MiniMissyMoo" 15th Mar
Great thread @millarcat
Akira_Cat13/03/2020 13:22

Board games and jigsaws are always a winner when on a dismal rainy caravan …Board games and jigsaws are always a winner when on a dismal rainy caravan holiday in Wales, I wonder if its transferable?

Uno and Exploding kittens are popular in our house at the moment
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 13th Mar
Rock painting is fun if you like crafts google is full of ideas

2914733481584106075.jpg

40098124-DDbSG.jpg
myusernamehasgone23413/03/2020 13:32

Rock painting is fun if you like crafts google is full of ideas [Image] …Rock painting is fun if you like crafts google is full of ideas [Image] [Image]

Oh I LOVE this, my friend used to do this with my kids when they were younger (how did I forget?!!) We still have some of the nicer designs in our house. Great idea
MiniMissyMoo13/03/2020 13:24

Twinkl offer learning resources for teachers and parents/carers. They …Twinkl offer learning resources for teachers and parents/carers. They provide some free downloads to those who create an account. They have created some school closure resource packs free of charge. EYFS Resource Pack can be found HERE.KS1 HERE.KS2 HERE.I’ve seen an email which has been shared to a Scottish school group that they are kindly offering their one month ultimate membership to all teachers and parents free of charge if you click this link and use the offer code UKTWINKLHELPS I am not sure if this is just applicable to Scotland.[Image]

Thanks @MiniMissyMoo These are great - LOADS of printables on those links - I even noticed a power point story about St. Patrick!
millarcat13/03/2020 13:45

Thanks @MiniMissyMoo These are great - LOADS of printables on those links …Thanks @MiniMissyMoo These are great - LOADS of printables on those links - I even noticed a power point story about St. Patrick!

You’re welcome. I’m not very clued up on the education system in the rest of the UK as I am in Scotland but I had to share They are currently working on Scottish school resource packs inline with the Curriculum for excellence so I will update once they add them.
Hang on. Aren’t they supposed to be doing the school work prepared for them by their teachers? Last I read, schools across the country have been told to prepare home learning packs for them if they are isolated. Some will be using online based teaching too.
Biddy213/03/2020 14:25

Hang on. Aren’t they supposed to be doing the school work prepared for t …Hang on. Aren’t they supposed to be doing the school work prepared for them by their teachers? Last I read, schools across the country have been told to prepare home learning packs for them if they are isolated. Some will be using online based teaching too.

Yeah absolutely - however if they're going to be at home, all day every day, they are going to have a lot of time on their hands!

Also learning from home is not likely to take up a full school day - those who homeschool often say they get through a lot more in a lot less time (1 or 2 children instead of 30 odd)
millarcat13/03/2020 14:32

Yeah absolutely - however if they're going to be at home, all day every …Yeah absolutely - however if they're going to be at home, all day every day, they are going to have a lot of time on their hands! Also learning from home is not likely to take up a full school day - those who homeschool often say they get through a lot more in a lot less time (1 or 2 children instead of 30 odd)

Times have changed then since I was at school. We’d probably have 5 mins of fuss at the beginning of a lesson followed by 50 mins of work. Not including breaks of course, that’s about 5 hours worth of work they would have had back in my day...

God I feel old now.
Biddy213/03/2020 14:37

Times have changed then since I was at school. We’d probably have 5 mins o …Times have changed then since I was at school. We’d probably have 5 mins of fuss at the beginning of a lesson followed by 50 mins of work. Not including breaks of course, that’s about 5 hours worth of work they would have had back in my day...God I feel old now.

Say they do 5-6 hours home schooling each day their activities will be cancelled too like sport club and youth clubs so still a lot of time to keep them entertained each day.
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 13th Mar
Perfect chance to watch Green Eggs and Ham on Netflix with your kids. Easily the best Dr Seuss adaptation and it's good for both small kids and adults.
We're bringing day 1 of being off school to a close. Both kids are going to do a drawing of what we did today. And one every day while they're off. We should have a nice book & keepsake when we're all done.
Ask your kids school what online learning tools they use. My sons school has Nessie, Google Classroom, Sumdog, epic reading, etc.
Don’t just treat it as time off, by all means have some fun. Treat a schools day as an element of learning too.
I love this community for things like this, great work!
Buy a now tv movie pass
Twinkl is free too for a mth
World Of Warcraft has sucked away much of my time. You'd forget you're isolated at all. For many Wow addicts they've been self isolating without anyone knowing.

Game time cards have been sold here cheap recently so maybe check.
Or maybe they could do some homework?
Walgeon13/03/2020 16:04

World Of Warcraft has sucked away much of my time. You'd forget you're …World Of Warcraft has sucked away much of my time. You'd forget you're isolated at all. For many Wow addicts they've been self isolating without anyone knowing.Game time cards have been sold here cheap recently so maybe check.

wow not played it for years.

Got an account that is self sufficient back in the day (lvl 80) multiple toons with every profession covered. Millions of gold coins in my own guild bank.
teach them how to cook & clean. Someone needs to do the work when the parents are ill.
Baking is fun, baking is always fun at any age. Kids like messy, older kids, the maths for how much it needs to be with 80+75, even older? Ratios between them, scale up the recipe by 1.75. Older still? Fine motor control and decorating it, or something more adventorous than a victoria sponge!
My kids started shoot on corona ......How to Avoid Corona / COVID-19 ADVICE
buckfast67uk13/03/2020 16:49

Comment deleted

This thread is titled “ideas to keep kids entertained if you are self isolating/home from school”.

Your angry and totally off topic comment tells me you must’ve commented on the wrong thread
I'm childfree, but if I had kids, I'd force them to sit down with me and watch all the classic 80's cartoons I grew up on. We would work through Ulysses, Cities Of Gold, The Racoons, Transformers, Mask, Dogtation, Pole Position, Thundercats, Visionaries etc .. oh and He-Man obviously until they are properly educated.

All on Youtube
SCO_OnSite13/03/2020 15:43

We're bringing day 1 of being off school to a close. Both kids are going …We're bringing day 1 of being off school to a close. Both kids are going to do a drawing of what we did today. And one every day while they're off. We should have a nice book & keepsake when we're all done.

That's a fantastic idea

Some really great activities mentioned in discussion. Thanks OP for starting it
I'm gutted Netflix got rid of the free trial - I was going to sign the kids up and never got around to it. I could've given them their own account, now they have to share of mine!
I didn't notice any paper & pencil games - I managed to convince my kids to play battleships to make sure they got a break from the computer games. I printed out some templates, although you can make your own grids with pencil & paper, keeps at least 2 occupied for 15 minutes! printablepaper.net/pre…hip
There are a lot of other pencil & paper games you can play as well and there are other Battleship templates out there.
Another fun one is to make papier-mâché, all you need is flour, paper & water!
WhiteElephant13/03/2020 20:32

That's a fantastic ideaSome really great activities mentioned in …That's a fantastic ideaSome really great activities mentioned in discussion. Thanks OP for starting it

If you really want to keep them occupied give them a ream of paper and have them write out all the numbers to infinity!
Seriously though, most kids will be fine if they have your attention, a pack of playing cards for snap or gin rummy. Even a simple paper game can keep them happy. Paper planes, noughts & crosses (tik-tac-toe), squares, word association, hangman, battleships, etc...
Mrs Mactivity are offering free learning resources too. They’re bright colourful and fun.

facebook.com/147…d=n
If you have a library card, free books and probably more to download.
aLV42613/03/2020 20:38

I'm gutted Netflix got rid of the free trial - I was going to sign the …I'm gutted Netflix got rid of the free trial - I was going to sign the kids up and never got around to it. I could've given them their own account, now they have to share of mine!

Check out the other Netflix thread. I pay £2.24 ish a month for mine.
Great post!
jinkssick13/03/2020 22:52

Check out the other Netflix thread. I pay £2.24 ish a month for mine.

Free vs £2.24/month though...
Great post! I wish I could vote in it.
Thank you.
Playstation, Netflix and junk food. Done.
What a fantastic thread thanks for all the great ideas my 10 year old son might actually enjoy spending time with me rather than his Xbox!!
Self isolating doesn't necessate staying indoors. How about doing something in the garden? Plants and seeds can be ordered online and growing your own veg teaches children where their food comes from..... plus it will use up energy which children usually have a surplus of!
aLV42613/03/2020 20:38

I'm gutted Netflix got rid of the free trial - I was going to sign the …I'm gutted Netflix got rid of the free trial - I was going to sign the kids up and never got around to it. I could've given them their own account, now they have to share of mine!

I don’t get it..... can you not just create a kids profile for them? Set the restriction to U and/or PG and you’re all good. We have one account 4 profiles.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants