Schools have now closed in an attempt to halt the spread of the coronavirus.
As much as we want to keep our children safe, the thoughts of self isolating with young kids for the foreseeable future can be a bit daunting! I thought I'd put together a few ideas on how to keep kids entertained if they are home from school
to help avoid those dreaded words ...... I’m BORED!
I would love to hear your ideas and suggestions so we can all help each other out –please share them! Get creative
- with some Arts & CraftsskyVIP
- access this through the mysky app (thanks @davejb
– keeps the kids busy AND you get to eat the tasty treats afterwards. Why not pick out a recipe, pretend you are hosting your own cooking show and video it.
Learn to Code for Free -
lot's of fun, and a good way for your kids to use their brains. Some free options below:Invest in Disney+
- Endless entertainment - Over 1000 movies, series, Originals and more from the 5 wonderful worlds of Disney+. Download any series or movie!
Make a Fort -
Help create lasting memories - kids will love spending hours creating the perfect hideawayFREE Online Virtual Tours
- Isolation doesn't mean you can't enjoy museums, zoos and other attractions from around the world. (Thanks @matwalaboy
- if everyone is well then why not get kids out in the back garden
- Follow government advice’ as it’ll likely change daily / every few days
- Get the kids involved with helping you get the garden ready for SpringPlant some seedlings
- whether it's for flowers, or herbs, kids will love to see them grow. Egg cartons are great for starting off new seeds
Learn to Sew on a Button
- i've just realised I have been doing it wrong all along!Make a Sock Puppet
- make good use of those new sewing skills ^ and create your own sock puppet with button eyes. Time to make use of all those odd socks lying around!Puppet Show
- Create your own Theatre using a cardboard boxHave a Netflix Party
- a bit random I know, but the kids might like it .... Netflix Party is a new way to watch Netflix with your friends online. Netflix Party synchronizes video playback and adds group chat to your favorite Netflix shows.Movie Night (or day!) -
Of course you'll need snacks!
Scouts have over 100 Free indoor educational activities
- While we normally love the great outdoors, we’ve pulled together some inspired indoor activity ideas (if we do say so ourselves). Keep your kids learning new skills and having funOnline Educational Games & Resources
- educational and fun at the same time.
Free Books, Magazines & Puzzles
- lots of freebies availableUnleash you inner Wizard!
- J.K. Rowling and her Wizarding World partners have launched Harry Potter At Home (Thanks @MrMak)
Make a Family Scrapbook
- Choose your fave family pictures, sort them into groups and start to make a scrapbook. Get creative and personalise it - a nice way to preserve and create family memories Whack out the board games
- Let the games begin! A great way to have some family time.See how many activities your kids can complete!
Grab a Gaming subscription
- this is definitely going to be a winner with older kids!Free Gaming for those with consoles
- one to keep the kids AND adults sane
Make sure to filter our the games that are suitable for your children!
Read a Book
- Reading is great for everyone! If you have younger kids they will LOVE to be read to, and join in when they can. Spotify Kids app
- Spotify Kids is a standalone smartphone app. It's like the regular Spotify app, but with a smaller library and parental controls
- this is awesome and you can tailor it to your child. Lots of options for parental controls too like to limiting screen time, blocking videos etcFree Podcasts for Kids -
great selection available!
Read a Comic
- Get the latest news from 2000 AD delivered straight to your inbox – every week!Have an Indoor Scavenger Hunt -
who doesn't love a treasure hunt?! Type up a list of things that need to be found, give everyone a list, and a time limit. Don't forget a small prize for the winner!Listen to an audio book
- Winnie The Pooh / Beatrix Potter etc... No membership needed
Learn Sign Language
- Free British Sign Language online course for under 18sYoga on YouTube
- Sophia Khan leads a fun and family-friendly introduction to yoga. You’ll get to warm up, practice breathing and poses, and relax into a power down.
Take them back to YOUR childhood
- Tons of classic TV Shows like He-Man now free to watch! (Thanks @ThePointyEnd
)Help them to connect with Friends & Family -
it's so important to keep in touch, and really nice to have video calls. This can be quite a novelty for young kids
Invest in some new outdoor toys -
long term investment, and they can enjoy these right through summer too.Have a mini Pamper hour
- break out the body lotions and face masks ..... don't forget the cucumber for your eyes!
Even a basin with warm soapy water for a foot soak, and paint those nails.....
Get the kids involved in some tidying up -
shock, horror! I'm not talking about loading them down with housework. However now is a great time to teach some home skills, a couple of small tasks, that they can tick off each day!Minecraft
- The DLC allows you to explore the International Space Station + Washington DC's monuments, build 3D Fractals + much more
Reading with David Walliams
Children's FREE Virtual Live PE Classes with Joe Wicks
You may also like:
Free entertainment and education for the extra time at home - inc free streaming trials, colouring/crafts offers, keepfit apps and more