Posted 28 May 2008

IMPOSSIBLE REQUEST - Can you trace a car owner with only part of the registration?

Any suggestions or help, would be greatly appreciated.

Last night at 11.35pm a black Fiat Punto smashed into our front garden wall. The driver reversed the vehicle and fled the scene, leaving behind a wall that is just about still standing. The corner and front section of the wall has been pushed back and will need to be rebuilt, along with repairs to the front gates.

This is approximately the 7th time that an accident has occurred on this corner in the last 10 years and is completely unacceptable, especially from a safety perspective. Our neighbour who was actually in his front drive at the time, was narrowly missed by the offender. He was able to get the first part of the registration (LM03 ---), but could not stop the two young men from driving away.

Not only do we have to claim on our own home insurance, pay the excess, have increased premiums and take time off work to resolve the issues, we also have to deal with the whole matter ourselves without any assistance from the Police / Council. This is clearly a road safely issue and is totally unacceptable.

If only I could trace the ****tards somehow?????
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

37 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    J9STL;2192395

like to know where you originally got 27 letters in the alphabet from

sorry i forgot there is only 8 in alphabet
    I really feel for you, as a mate of mine used to have this happen to him at a previous house of his.

Without the full number, I think you're really up against it in terms of locating the car or driver. Good luck tho'
    Good idea might be to get a cctv installed outside your house, which would atleast record any future problems
    Very unlikely. Speak to the council and ask them to metal bollards up on the pavement, so if a car looses it on the corner, it hits the bollard and not the wall. If you know the general direction the car came from and went, drive the same route and c if there are any cctv cameras along it. LM03 just telly you the town / city where the car was 1st registered
    Why can't you report to Police? You would need a crime number for insurance claim anway surely?
    Car was likely nicked - Police could possibly confirm a black Punto LM03 XXX was taken - especially if it is damaged and subsequently dumped. Either that or get local newspaper involved.
    Yeah it will be nicked.....
    Any pubs near you? Could be a couple of p*****d up lads? If so....all pubs have CCTV maybe it could have caught something
    Defo speak to police though in case its nicked
    as damage is done to your wall its whats known as a reportable accident, as the driver should have stopped and made some effort to find the owner of the wall or reoprt to a police station within 24hrs( as soon as )
    Give the local OB a ring or pop in to your local shop and get it reported and pass on the info about the suspected car :thumbsup:
    wouldn't think it would be too hard to find it, there are 4096 combinations of a registration plate starting with LM03. That is assuming it is a standard plate. Police could narrow the serach down to a black fiat punto. Should give you a handful of results.
    But for you to find it on your own, its pretty hard, but do-able, just hard.
    Dumb question, but why 4096 combinations - do we only use 16 different letters at the end of the plate? (16 x 16 x 16 = 4096)
    mug51;2192224

wouldn't think it would be too hard to find it, there are 4096 … wouldn't think it would be too hard to find it, there are 4096 combinations of a registration plate starting with LM03. That is assuming it is a standard plate. Police could narrow the serach down to a black fiat punto. Should give you a handful of results. But for you to find it on your own, its pretty hard, but do-able, just hard.

i would guess its nearer 12000 mark 3 letters of the alphabet make up last 3 digits on plate so if you times 27X27X27=19683 some letters dont get used so 12000 approx is my guess
    i think we use upto 23 letters now
    why haven't yuo reported it to the police? they have committed an offence so the police should investigate as you do have info which can be acted upon.
    the fact you have majority of plate and you have colour and say there is approx 12000 number plates its likely there will less than 40 punto`s with the combination of the colour and the first part of plate.police could quickly check this and no doubt if it aint stolen they could get in touch with insurance companies about any recent reported accidents/damage
    SpecialK;2192275

i would guess its nearer 12000 mark 3 letters of the alphabet make up … i would guess its nearer 12000 mark 3 letters of the alphabet make up last 3 digits on plate so if you times 27X27X27=19683 some letters dont get used so 12000 approx is my guess

like to know where you originally got 27 letters in the alphabet from
    Author
    I instantly phoned the police and spoke to Sgt. Lemon (real name). A CAD reference was given but no further action taken. I've subsequently attended the local Police Station this morning, to complete a Self Reporting Form, but little assistance was given regarding this matter. It would appear that the attitude taken, is that this is just a consequence of the society that we live in and something we should just accept.

In addition, I've contacted the local council, but previously when I've reported other accidents no action has ever been taken. In fact, I was advised that until there is a fatality the council will do nothing to improve the road safely layout.

We already have speed bumps about 500 yards up the road and bollards outside the house. BUT these are fiberglass coated and are intended to shear off on impact. Apparrently it is illegal to have a solid barrier on a corner that could potentially injure a motorist - offical comment from the council.

Some 7 years ago we installed RSJ's behind the wall (on the advice of a policeman), they're 4ft in the ground and certainly stop the cars from hitting the house. BUT they dont protect the wall, gates, fence or windows from flying debris. This time the guy was obviously speeding but managed to brake. Last time the offender (who had borrowed his dad's van) ran away, but left the keys in it. I will try to post some photos as the van was propped up on the RSJ at a 45 degree angle.

I've now just had enough of all the hassle. If only I could catch 'em !!!
    SpecialK;2192422

sorry i forgot there is only 8 in alphabet

in that case there's ony 512 possibilities
    case nearly solved :thumbsup:

as the Genie would say "lets get tooled up guys"
    J9STL;2192458

in that case there's ony 512 possibilitiescase nearly solved … in that case there's ony 512 possibilitiescase nearly solved :thumbsup:as the Genie would say "lets get tooled up guys"

:giggle:
    How annoying, to be honest thats just the type of reaction I would expect from the Police these days, in their eyes you've got your number to claim on insurance, they haven't got pages of paper work and reg plates to look for.

The car wasn't stolen because if someone had reported that vehicle stolen in your area they would have been a bit more interested in your story.

I suppose the only thing to be thankfull for is that no one was hurt... or no one innocent was hurt!

Just a note if you consider putting CCTV up. I believe its a sticky situation if you have it pointing out into the street beyond the bounds of your property, basically its to do with 'what right do you have to video people and vehicles passing on public highways' I know I know its stupid but would be really naff if although you got the muppets Reg who ran into your wall you find yourself in the dock because of some ridiculous data protection sub-ruling! Be warned....
    Re post ^^^
    You shouldn't have to accept this - why won't your local MP and/or the local newspaper not champion your cause ? obviously measures in place aren't enough. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the future tries to sue you for the RSJ's injuring their drunken joyrider son when he hits your wall.
    The police in London are ATROCIOUS!
    My Girlf's dads car was broken into, I chased after the lads....got hold of one and took his pic, who then tried to steal my phone but I'm a big lad and had a stonking hangover (makes me really NASTY!) so no chance he was gonna get i9t

cops turned up 5 hours later....showed them the pic and they went oh well, nothing we can do as they didn't cause damage or actually steal the car!
    Despite us witnessing them do it apparently in London thats not a crime!

My advice....MOVE!
    LazyDonkey;2192441

I instantly phoned the police and spoke to Sgt. Lemon (real name). A CAD … I instantly phoned the police and spoke to Sgt. Lemon (real name). A CAD reference was given but no further action taken. I've subsequently attended the local Police Station this morning, to complete a Self Reporting Form, but little assistance was given regarding this matter. It would appear that the attitude taken, is that this is just a consequence of the society that we live in and something we should just accept.In addition, I've contacted the local council, but previously when I've reported other accidents no action has ever been taken. In fact, I was advised that until there is a fatality the council will do nothing to improve the road safely layout.We already have speed bumps about 500 yards up the road and bollards outside the house. BUT these are fiberglass coated and are intended to shear off on impact. Apparrently it is illegal to have a solid barrier on a corner that could potentially injure a motorist - offical comment from the council.Some 7 years ago we installed RSJ's behind the wall (on the advice of a policeman), they're 4ft in the ground and certainly stop the cars from hitting the house. BUT they dont protect the wall, gates, fence or windows from flying debris. This time the guy was obviously speeding but managed to brake. Last time the offender (who had borrowed his dad's van) ran away, but left the keys in it. I will try to post some photos as the van was propped up on the RSJ at a 45 degree angle.I've now just had enough of all the hassle. If only I could catch 'em !!!

I would insist that they at least try to trace the car. Write to your MP about the polices attitude. You'd be surprised how many just make a phone call to the chief constable to get things moving.

writetothem.com/
    i dont really think u have a good chance of finding them tbh, car was probably stolen, only 1 person cud help u...jack bauer....sorry my friend
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A Team

I'm sure there will be a discount code for them on here somewhere......
    J9STL;2192458

in that case there's ony 512 possibilitiescase nearly solved :thumbsup:as … in that case there's ony 512 possibilitiescase nearly solved :thumbsup:as the Genie would say "lets get tooled up guys"

no you fool ...its " Fire up the Quatro"
    I beg to differ:
    "tooled up" was from Life on Mars
    "Quatro " reference is Ashes to Ashes
    J9STL;2192892

I beg to differ:"tooled up" was from Life on Mars"Quatro " reference is … I beg to differ:"tooled up" was from Life on Mars"Quatro " reference is Ashes to Ashes

there is no point being tooled up if the motor aint ready :roll:
    dog_cop;2192904

there is no point being tooled up if the motor aint ready :roll:

"Go detect me a packet o' garibaldi's"
    J9STL;2192929

"Go detect me a packet o' garibaldi's"

" your surrounded by armed ba*****s"
    PapaSmurf;2192835

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, … If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A TeamI'm sure there will be a discount code for them on here somewhere......

they are very difficult to find though!
    last quote for now:
    ''She's as nervous as a very small Nun at a Penguin shoot''.
    guerilla;2192950

aaarrrrgggghhhhhh, found you!
    guerilla;2192950

Apparently not. Just one mention of them in this listing and hey-presto, the "muscle" of the bunch appears. :thumbsup:
    Some **** smashed into my Audi A4 and they drove off, only had part of the registration number my insurance company said its impossible to trace it. my car was write off got money sill ****** of about it. If i ever find the guy ill would sort him out.!!
    The reply about asking the DVLA for help seems a very good idea but if you have plenty of time and you really, really want to find them, try this link.

tyre-shopper.co.uk/tyr…asp
    Although an old thread the Police can wildcard number plates so having a few digits in any part they can search this coupled with a make even more model and colour of the vehicle if it came down to 5 or so they can check to see if it came from within an local area and investigate
    I SOLD MY CAR OVER A MONTH AGO, HAD NO CHOICE BUT IT WAS THE BEST CAR I EVER HAD I AM CURIOUS TO WHERE THE CAR MIGHT BE THESE DAYS, CAN ANYONE HELP WITH A RED FIESTA REG MARK WG14UHW PLEASE, KEN IN PLYMOUTH
's avatar