Posted 28 August 2023

Two nephews = two new laptops!

Hi there, I want to treat my 13 and 15 year old nephews to a new laptop each with a budget of circa £1k each. They're into coding and one needs a new laptop asap as his current one has it screen busted! He said he would like something more powerful and that can game (things like Genshin Impact and more perhaps).

He gave me this link and said it looks good:

Lenovo LOQ 16
lenovo.com/gb/…003
lenovo.com/gb/…GB1

It's currently at £830 and I can get it as £800 through a work link but cannot customise it.

The older one wants a larger screen 17 multi purpose laptop for media use, homework and general.

I know nothing about laptops and specs. It this is worth it? Any other better around?!

Thanks for any help.
Community Updates
New Comment

19 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    There are plenty of 15" -16" laptops which are better value for money.
    I would suggest £550 laptop + £450 mobile phone if haven't got a decent phone yet

ebuyer.com/154…BwE (edited)
    He wants a graphics card not on board graphics if they want it for gaming (edited)
    Uncle Fama, it's me your long lost nephew, I could use a laptop too

That laptop looks a pretty good deal to me, obviously get the £850 one as it has more RAM. I haven't seen many 17" screen laptops for a while

45%NTSC seems a bit low, so colours might not look great. Not sure about the TDP of graphics card or how good general thermals are

Didn't realise you can customise, if you remove Windows you can save £90! You can buy a Windows key online very cheap, but would have to install it yourself. You can also upgrade the graphics card to a 4060 and its about £950

50876898-gYZ8N.jpg (edited)
    Author
    Hahah, thanks for the Windows key information, that could help save quite a bit actually. Where could I get that? Are this from legit sources but also if there's no Windows on the machine, would the Lenovo specific drivers and software be loaded on it?!
    Can I be your third nephew?
    I think I want to be the uncle! (edited)
    Op, what have you started
    I’m your niece uncle. I’d love a uncle like you who would spend £1k on me.
    Wasn’t given £1 never mind £1,000 .
    Feel under appreciated
    I wish I had uncle/auntie like you
    Author
    So I decided to get this gaming laptop for one of my nephews:

dell.com/en-…795

The other sent me this link and said he wants something more focused for work but can also game:

dell.com/en-…513

For something that's similar in price to the Alienware, am I wrong in thinking this is worse spec wise?
's avatar