Posted 10 September 2023

New laptop guidance please

My old Toshiba has finally died after 10 years. Want new laptop with word to use at home, with mouse. No gaming. Just googling, email, YouTube, shopping etc. Budget £600 max. I'd like it to last a few years. I've been reading up but really no idea what's best for me, suggestions much appreciated. Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    A used Thinkpad is usually the best bet. Good spec, cheap because there are loads of hardly used ones being replaced by businesses, and you can order and easily replace every part so they are easy to maintain long term. They are generally well made and reliable. Excellent keyboards too.
    All good choices above.
    Bottom line is you dont need to spend £600 for the needs you have described. Neither do you need to buy new - a good spec refurb will do you fine.
    I recommend you browse around this ethical company recommerceit.co.uk/
    I bought a Lenovo T470s from them about this time last year and it has been brilliant.
    Also, depending upon whats exactly wrong with your Toshiba, consider seeing if Linux Mint could be installed or Chrome OS Flex.
    My personal preference for all things office is indeed LibreOffice which is free in all respects. Compatible with MS office in the majority of cases although the human interface differs a bit. Available for may different operating systems. I am told microsoft 365 on-line can be free. microsoft.com/en-…web
    Author
    Thanks. My Toshiba is with repairer to see what's wrong but due to age I'm sure I'll have to replace soon. I like to use word. Is it right that new laptops don't come with this so will have to install. ? Presumably extra cost.
    Whereas a 2nd hand one might have it already on?
    Looking at all your suggestions thanks.
    Author
    Thanks I'll have a look at libre office.
    Just realised my work laptop I'm using at home is a ThinkPad. It's good, apart from slightly smaller screen than I prefer.
's avatar