Posted 30 August 2023

New Laptop / Used MacBook

Hi guys 
What’s the best laptop/or used MacBook I could pick up for basic video editing to upload to YouTube, I won’t be looking to upload 4k but will probably have some 4k footage that will be converted and uploaded in 1080.  

Got a budget around £600 if it’s that is doable,  thanks in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I think it depends on what software you use?
    I used to have an M1 MacBook Air (have an M2 now) and it worked perfect with DaVinci Resolve and Final Cut. You can pick one up on eBay for about £500/£600. Don't be put off by the 8GB RAM. I had large projects all with 4K and it coped with no issues. Plus I have 20/30 safari tabs open and again, no issues.
    Apple laptops are poor value second hand, so best to stick to other top end models if that's the route you want to go down.

Although if you're only doing basic editing then it's likely that anything at £600 will do the job.
    Author
    I could up it a little more but then I guess I am getting into new MacBook 2020 territory around £800 I’ve seen new.

I won’t be hitting it hard with the editing just mainly vlogging from my go pro and uploading to YouTube.

I won’t be using anything to fancy for software to edit.

I am just not sure what specs I would be looking for in a laptop to handle basic editing. Where as all I’ve read about anywhere is that the Mac 2020 M1 handles it no worries.

It’s the operating system I might find hard to navigate around as I am used to windows on a pc, and IOS on my iPhone 13 and iPad 10, but reading MacBooks are hard to get used to as a newbie.
    If you have a monitor have you considered a headless MacBook?

There seems to be a few people buying macbooks with broken screens and just removing the screen and plugging it into a monitor

Author
    I am off travelling on Sunday m8, so have to rule that option out, thanks anyway.
's avatar