Posted 23 hours ago

Octaplus ISP - Anyone using?

Cityfibre are offering £200 Cashback for connecting to their network. 

They’ve also added half a dozen ISP’s to the list that serve my location including Octaplus. 

Is anyone using Octaplus and if so what has your experience with them been like?

Also what router do they supply, would normally be listed on site or FAQs but can’t see any note about it?
Community Updates
New Comment

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    They’re rather hit and miss. For starters they use CGNAT meaning you will always share an IP address with others. This increases latency, and prevents self-hosting, but also causes issues for some online gamers at times too.

They also only have one peering and routing point at Telehouse North. If you’re in or near London that’s fine. But the further out from London you are the higher your latency gets due to this too.

Their router these days is generally a TP Link VX230V but the model is never guaranteed.

People have said both good and bad about customer service. But from what I’ve seen it’s slightly more negative than positive.

Is there any reason why you’re considering them? They’re one of them ISPs that’s lost relevance over time as others have come in and done a better job - whether that’s on pricing, performance or customer service.

What’s the list of available ISPs? ‘No-One’ is a good choice if they’re available where you live. Brawband is another solid choice too. There’s also IDNet who are basically the gold standard of broadband on CityFibre but they command a price premium.
    don't mind me asking, but how did you manage to get the £200 cashback offer. I've searched online but didn't find anywhere to register for this. If I would, I would have gone with Cityfibre a couple of months ago but stayed with Virgin cause I couldn't be bothered having another line put in the house, an ONT on the wall which has to be plugged in, etc.
    They do these deals in areas where CityFibre has somewhat recently launched but they've had a low number of customers signing up for services. They then run this incentive for a few months to bribe more people to sign up with a partner ISP.

If you signed up for updates before or during the build you'll get an email offering this if you live in an eligible area. Otherwise you would get a flyer through the door.

Don't try to sign up with a link you find from someone else, they are area specific.